Statistical mechanics - diatomic particles leaving and entering a box

In summary, the problem involves a box of air with specific pressure and composition, and a small hole on one face. The exterior air has the same composition and temperature but a different pressure. The question is how long it will take for the pressure in the box to reach a certain value. The solution involves using the ideal gas law and solving for dN/dt, which is then plugged into a formula to find the time it takes for the pressure to change. More information is needed to solve the problem, such as the values for m and I.
khfrekek92

Homework Statement

A box of volume .5m^3 contains air pressure 3*10^5 n/m^2, and air composition of 80% N2 and 20% O2. There is a small hole of area 1*10^6 m^2 in one face. The exterior of the box has air of the same composition and temperature but pressure of 1*10^5. How long will it take for the pressure in the box to drop to 1.2*10^5 n/m^2?

Homework Equations

(dP/dt)=[16[pi]^3ak^2T^2NPx]/[V^2Im]

The Attempt at a Solution

After Using PV=NkT to getVdP +PdV=kTdN+Nkdt (then since pressure and temperature are constant) dP/dt=(kT/V)dN/dt
dNdt was a 10-dimensional integral which took quite awhile to solve for, and nw I am left with:
(dP/dt)=[16[pi]^3ak^2T^2NPx]/[V^2Im]
Now I need to solve for how long it will take to go from a pressure of 3*10^5 to 1.2*10^5. How do I do that using this above equation? What do I use for m or I? Do I need to take the integral? Thanks so much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're going to need to give more information on how you got your dN/dt function?

1. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that applies statistical methods to study the behavior of a large number of particles in a system, such as gases, liquids, and solids.

2. What are diatomic particles?

Diatomic particles are molecules made up of two atoms bonded together. Examples include oxygen (O2), nitrogen (N2), and hydrogen (H2).

3. How do diatomic particles enter and leave a box in statistical mechanics?

In statistical mechanics, diatomic particles can enter and leave a box through collisions with the walls of the box or with other particles. The movement and behavior of these particles can be described using mathematical equations and statistical methods.

4. What is the significance of studying diatomic particles entering and leaving a box in statistical mechanics?

The study of diatomic particles entering and leaving a box in statistical mechanics can provide insights into the thermodynamic properties of gases and how they behave under different conditions. This can have practical applications in fields such as engineering and chemistry.

5. What are some real-world examples that can be explained using statistical mechanics of diatomic particles entering and leaving a box?

Some examples include the expansion of a gas in a balloon, the condensation of water vapor into liquid water, and the behavior of gases in a combustion engine. All of these processes involve the movement and behavior of diatomic particles, which can be studied using statistical mechanics.