Determining Power Output of Pumped Energy Storage System

In summary: I think that the question is looking for a peak power value, so you may want to express the water flow rate as a function of the water level.In summary, Pumped Energy Storage involves using a water reservoir with surface area A and depth D to generate electric power through the use of pipes and turbines. The total gravitational potential energy U can be calculated using the equation U=mgh, and the available power P can be determined by taking the derivative of U with respect to time. To solve for these values, the data provided, including A, D, H, δ, and density, can be used in the equations. However, since the head is decreasing over time, the power generation will not be constant and the equation for U may
kraigandrews

Homework Statement

Pumped Energy Storage. A water reservoir has surface area A and depth D. The water flows down pipes and through turbines to generate electric power. The bottom of the reservoir is at height H above the turbines. The depth D of water in the reservoir decreases at a rate δ. (a) Calculate the total gravitational potential energy U. (b) Calculate the available power P = |dU/dt|, i.e., available for conversion to electric power.

DATA: A = 8 ×10^5 m2; D = 14 m; H = 102 m; δ = 0.55 m per hour; density = 1.0 ×10^3 kg/m3.

Homework Equations

U=mgh

P=U/T

The Attempt at a Solution

U=mgh
U=(density*area*depth)*g*h =1.1206E13 J

then 1.1206EJ/((1/3600)*.55)=7.3355E16 W

but that's not correct. what's wrong here

Physics news on Phys.org
Only the water at the bottom of the reservoir is at height H above the turbine. The water at the surface starts out D above that.

Since the head is decreasing over time, the power generation won't be constant over time; I suppose they're just interested in the initial value? Or perhaps an average?

so I'm confused, what would be the equation for U?
would it be density*area*(height-depth)*g?

kraigandrews said:
so I'm confused, what would be the equation for U?
would it be density*area*(height-depth)*g?

I have to admit that I'm not certain at this point. Much depends upon what they mean by "available power". There will be more power provided when the reservoir is full as the pressure at the turbine will be higher. Unless, of course, there's some mechanism that's enforcing the .55 m/hr rate and the head height for the water running to the turbine is a constant H.

Would you happen to know what answer they're looking for?

my guess would be the maximum available power

kraigandrews said:
my guess would be the maximum available power

If that's the case, then it occurs when the reservoir is full. The rate of water provided will be:
[tex] A \delta \rho [/tex]
in kg/hr. The height of the drop will be H plus the height to the current surface level of the reservoir.

Regarding part (a), your basic equation U=mgh is correct. But one must use integration for the reason gneill gave, the water varies from height H to H + D. Do you know calculus?

yes.

Unless you want averages over the operating limits of the reservoir, I think you can make do without calculus for this one.

You can determine the mass delivery rate of the water and the height of the water head for a given instant. That should be sufficient to provide the "instantaneous" power output at that instant in time.

What is pumped energy storage?

Pumped energy storage is a type of energy storage system that uses electricity to pump water from a lower reservoir to a higher reservoir. This process stores potential energy, which can be released later by allowing the water to flow back down through turbines to generate electricity.

How does pumped energy storage work?

Pumped energy storage works by using excess electricity from the grid to pump water from a lower reservoir to a higher reservoir. This water is stored as potential energy until it is needed, at which point it is released back down through turbines to generate electricity.

What are the benefits of pumped energy storage?

Pumped energy storage has several benefits, including its ability to store large amounts of energy for long periods of time, its high efficiency in converting energy, and its ability to provide backup power during peak demand periods.

What are the drawbacks of pumped energy storage?

One of the main drawbacks of pumped energy storage is the high initial cost of building the infrastructure, such as the construction of reservoirs and power plants. There may also be environmental impacts, such as the loss of land and potential disruption of ecosystems.

Is pumped energy storage a sustainable solution?

Pumped energy storage is generally considered a sustainable solution as it does not produce any emissions and can help to balance out the intermittent nature of renewable energy sources. However, it does require access to suitable terrain and water sources, and careful planning is necessary to minimize environmental impacts.