Triangle integral ∫∫dxdyf(x*y) how to reduce to one dimension?

In summary, the speaker is wondering if it is possible to relate the integral of a function dependent only on x*y to the integral of the product of the same function and another function g(x*y). They question if there are any assumptions needed for this to be possible. The speaker also mentions an integral with a substitution that shows the inner integral is independent of x.
VytautasD
I meet with a triangle integral where x+y≤1, and function is dependant only on x*y. I am wondering if there any possibility to relate ∫∫dxdyf(x*y)=∫d(x*y)f(x*y)g(x*y) or something similar? Or maybe there are some assumptions needed to relate like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
VytautasD said:
I meet with a triangle integral where x+y≤1, and function is dependant only on x*y. I am wondering if there any possibility to relate ∫∫dxdyf(x*y)=∫d(x*y)f(x*y)g(x*y) or something similar? Or maybe there are some assumptions needed to relate like this?

I'm not sure this is what you want. But in the integral $$
\int_0^1\int_0^{1-x^2}f(xy)\, dydx$$you could change the inner variable from ##y## to ##w## with the substitution ##w=yx,\ dw = x dy## giving$$
\int_0^1\frac 1 x \int_0^{x-x^2}f(w)\, dwdx$$

1. What is a triangle integral?

A triangle integral is a type of double integral that is evaluated over a triangular region in the x-y plane. It is represented by the symbol ∫∫dxdy and is used to find the total value of a function over the specified triangular area.

2. How is a triangle integral different from a regular double integral?

A regular double integral is evaluated over a rectangular region, while a triangle integral is evaluated over a triangular region. This means that the limits of integration and the method for setting up the integral will be different.

3. What does dxdy represent in a triangle integral?

The term dxdy is known as the differential of area and represents the infinitesimal area of the region being integrated over. It is used to set up the limits of integration for the double integral.

4. How do you reduce a triangle integral to one dimension?

To reduce a triangle integral to one dimension, you can use a change of variables or a substitution. This involves expressing one of the variables in terms of the other and then integrating using the new variable as the limits of integration.

5. What is the purpose of evaluating a triangle integral?

The purpose of evaluating a triangle integral is to find the total value of a function over a specified triangular region. This can be useful in calculating areas, volumes, and other physical quantities in scientific and mathematical applications.