What is the strength of the magnetic field

In summary, the armature of an ac generator has 49 turns and a radius of 3.1 cm. When it rotates at 382rpm, the amplitude of the emf is 17.0 V. To find the strength of the magnetic field, we use the equation E = N.n.phi, where phi is measured in Webers. Converting to Tesla, we can use the conversion 1 T = 1 Wb/m2 to get an answer of approximately 5.78 x 10^-3 T.
warrior2014

Homework Statement

The armature of an ac generator is a circular coil with 49 turns and radius 3.1 cm. When the armature rotates at 382rpm, the amplitude of the emf in the coil is 17.0 V. What is the strength of the magnetic field (assumed to be uniform) ?

Homework Equations

E = N.n.phi

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for phi and got 18.35 (Webers) Wb. But, I need the answer in Tesla (T) and I am unsure how to do this. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
A Weber is a unit of flux whereas a Tesla is a unit of flux density

hi warrior2014! :smile:
warrior2014 said:
I solved for phi and got 18.35 (Webers) Wb. But, I need the answer in Tesla (T) and I am unsure how to do this. Please help!

hint: learn your electric units

1 T = 1 Wb/m2 :wink:

What is the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field refers to the amount of force that a magnetic field exerts on a charged particle placed within it. It is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G).

How is the strength of the magnetic field measured?

The strength of the magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This instrument detects and measures the magnetic field strength at a particular location.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field is influenced by several factors, including the distance from the source of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the magnet, and the material it is made of.

What is the difference between a strong and weak magnetic field?

A strong magnetic field has a higher amount of force and can exert a greater influence on charged particles compared to a weak magnetic field. The strength of a magnetic field is directly proportional to the force it exerts.

How is the strength of the magnetic field used in scientific research?

The strength of the magnetic field is essential in many scientific fields. It is used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI, in particle accelerators, and in studying the Earth's magnetic field and its effects on the environment.