Efficiency/stiffness of various caliper designs.

• Thread starter Kozy
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is conducting a research project on mathematically modeling a production road car braking system. They have found discrepancies in different caliper designs, which they believe may be due to differences in caliper stiffness and overall efficiency. They plan to revise their model by incorporating a separate efficiency input for the caliper, but are unsure of what values to use for varying caliper designs. They propose initial efficiency values for different caliper designs and are seeking input from others. They acknowledge that there may be other factors at play, but are focusing on the caliper efficiency for now.
Kozy
I am doing a bit of a research project, mathematically modelling a production road car braking system. So far my model seems to work very well, but am I finding discrepancies in different caliper designs, where the fundamental stats (moment arm/piston area) are the same yet users reviews state a noticeable change in braking performance.

I can only attribute this phenomenom to the difference in caliper stiffness and overall efficiency incorporating friction losses. Previously I had assumed the differences to be marginal at best and simply tagged the caliper clamp force equation with the overall system efficiency of a hypothetical 90%, however this is clearly not providing me with the level of accuracy I am seeking.

I need to revise the model with a separate effeciency input for the caliper, however I have no idea on any values to use for varying caliper designs.

My initial thoughts:
Single piston sliding - 80%
Dual piston sliding - 82%
Factory fit 4 piston fixed - 85%
Lightwight aftermarket 4 piston fixed - 87%
Twin block 4 pot fixed - 90%
Mono block 4 pot fixed - 89%

If anyone here would be able to shed any light on whether these splits are in the right ballpark, it would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I understand that there could be other factors such as pad compound, operating temperature and wear etc. but I'm looking to keep these out of the equation for now. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

1. How do you measure the efficiency of a caliper design?

The efficiency of a caliper design is typically measured by its ability to convert hydraulic pressure into braking force. This is commonly referred to as the caliper's brake torque ratio, which is calculated by dividing the clamping force of the caliper by the hydraulic pressure applied to the brake pads.

2. What factors affect the stiffness of a caliper design?

The stiffness of a caliper design can be affected by several factors, including the materials used, the size and shape of the caliper, and the design of the pistons and seals. The overall rigidity of the caliper is also influenced by the mounting location and the strength of the brake rotor.

3. How does the efficiency of a fixed caliper design compare to a floating caliper design?

A fixed caliper design typically has a higher efficiency than a floating caliper design. This is because a fixed caliper has pistons on both sides of the rotor, providing more even pressure distribution and a larger surface area for braking force. A floating caliper, on the other hand, only has pistons on one side and relies on the caliper bracket to apply pressure on the other side.

4. Can the efficiency of a caliper design be improved?

Yes, the efficiency of a caliper design can be improved through various methods, such as using higher quality materials, optimizing the design for better fluid flow, and reducing the weight of the caliper. Additionally, regular maintenance and proper installation can also help improve the efficiency of a caliper design.

5. Is it possible for a caliper design to be too stiff?

Yes, it is possible for a caliper design to be too stiff. While a stiff caliper can provide better braking performance, it can also increase the risk of brake fade and premature wear on the brake pads and rotors. A balance between stiffness and flexibility is ideal for optimal braking performance and longevity.