Identify the value of δ( accur. to 2 dec. places) that corresponds to ε=0.01?

• Thread starter solve
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, to solve for δ that corresponds to ε=0.01 for the given function and limit, we need to replace |x-1| by a number that keeps the inequality true. We can start by assuming that |x-(-1)|= |x+1|< 1 and then manipulate the inequality to prove that if we replace |x-1| by 1, the inequality will still hold.
solve

Homework Statement

Identify the value of δ( accur. to 2 dec. places) that corresponds to ε=0.01, given lim x->-1 (x^2+3)=4, according to the definition of limits.

Homework Equations

|f(x)- L| < ε

0<|x-a| < δ

The Attempt at a Solution

|(x^2+3)- 4| <0.01

|x^2-1| <0.01

|x-1||x+1| <0.01

This where I have no idea what to with |x-1|. Do I divide 0.01 by |x-1|? Any hints, please?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't want to divide by |x- 1|, you want to divide by a number which means that you need to replace |x- 1| by a number that keeps the inequality true.

You only need to prove this for x "close" to -1 so start by assuming that |x-(-1)|= |x+ 1|< 1 (1 is chosen just as a convenient value- any positive number would work). That is, that -1< x+1< 1. Subtracting 2 from each part, -3< x- 1< -1 which is the same as saying that |x- 1|> 1. We want ">" here because now we can say that if we replace |x- 1| by 1 in |x- 1||x+ 1| we have replace it by something larger: |x-1||x+1|< |x+ 1|. If we take |x+1|< .001 then it is certainly true that |x-1||x+1|< |x+1|< .001.

Hi, HallsOfIvy. I appreciate your answer. Just never got around to answering to this thread. Wanted to acknowledge I read your answer and probably will have some questions once I finally have time to look at it a bit closer. Thank You, HallsOfIvy.

1. What does δ( accur. to 2 dec. places) represent in this context?

δ( accur. to 2 dec. places) refers to the margin of error or uncertainty in the value being measured or calculated. It indicates that the value is accurate to 2 decimal places.

2. How is ε related to δ in this equation?

ε represents the maximum acceptable margin of error or uncertainty, while δ represents the actual margin of error or uncertainty. In this context, ε=0.01 means that the maximum acceptable margin of error is 0.01.

3. How is δ calculated or determined?

δ is typically calculated using statistical methods or determined through experimentation. It takes into account factors such as measurement precision, instrument accuracy, and sample size.

4. Why is it important to specify the value of δ( accur. to 2 dec. places) for ε=0.01?

Specifying the value of δ( accur. to 2 dec. places) for ε=0.01 is important because it ensures that the calculated or measured value falls within an acceptable range of accuracy. This helps to avoid misleading or incorrect conclusions based on inaccurate data.

5. Can δ be larger or smaller than ε in this equation?

Yes, δ can be larger or smaller than ε in this equation. If δ is larger than ε, it means that the margin of error is greater than the maximum acceptable margin of error. If δ is smaller than ε, it means that the margin of error is smaller than the maximum acceptable margin of error.