Quantum mechanics of hydrogen and many-electron systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for the "BEST and most COMPLETE" book on quantum mechanics of the hydrogen atom and many-electron systems. The speaker is specifically looking for a book that focuses on these topics and includes thorough explanations and calculations at an introductory level. They are also interested in finding a book that incorporates a group-theoretical analysis of many-electron systems, but the expert notes that this is not a common approach due to the lack of symmetry in many-electron systems.
Mendeleeff
I'm looking for the BEST and most COMPLETE book describing

- The quantum mechanics of the hydrogen atom (working out completely the Schrödinger wave equation)
- The quantum mechanics of many-electron systems (with a thorough explanation of the independent particle model, central-field approximation, Hartree-Fock method, Pauli principle, electronic configurations, structure of the periodic table)

I know these are discussed in most introductory books on QM, but I am looking for a book that is putting most of the emphasis on these points, and takes the time to work out all calculations at an introductory level.

Do you know of books that add to the above two points a group-theoretical analysis of many-electron systems ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mendeleeff said:
I'm looking for the BEST and most COMPLETE book describing

- The quantum mechanics of the hydrogen atom (working out completely the Schrödinger wave equation)
- The quantum mechanics of many-electron systems (with a thorough explanation of the independent particle model, central-field approximation, Hartree-Fock method, Pauli principle, electronic configurations, structure of the periodic table)

I know these are discussed in most introductory books on QM, but I am looking for a book that is putting most of the emphasis on these points, and takes the time to work out all calculations at an introductory level.
The "BEST and most COMPLETE" book covering those topics will not be at introductory level. If you are looking for a wide-ranged introduction into few-electron/many-electron physics, look up "Molecular Electronic Structure Theory" by Helgaker, Joergensen and Olsen.

You are unlikely to find books covering hydrogen in all its glory and many-body physics in the same text, because the hydrogen atom is not very relevant in the context of treating molecules (or even other atoms).

Do you know of books that add to the above two points a group-theoretical analysis of many-electron systems ?
Group theory is only really used for spin, point groups, and space groups. In practice these are devices to speed up calculations or target individual states by symmetry, and are rather independent of the actual many-electron physics (i.e., to make anything out of those, you need to understand the many-electron physics in depth *first*).

There is no general group theoretical approach to many-electron physics in general that I am aware of. That is mainly the case because many-electron systems often do not have symmetry (apart from spin).

Mendeleeff, A better place to ask this is the forum devoted to Atoms and Molecules!

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It deals with the principles and laws that govern the behavior of particles, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons, and how they interact with each other and their environment.

2. What is the hydrogen atom and why is it important in quantum mechanics?

The hydrogen atom is the simplest atom, consisting of only one proton and one electron. It is important in quantum mechanics because it is the only atom that can be solved analytically, allowing us to understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. Many other atoms and molecules can also be described using the same principles as the hydrogen atom.

3. What is the significance of many-electron systems in quantum mechanics?

Many-electron systems refer to atoms or molecules that have more than one electron. In quantum mechanics, these systems are important because the behavior of each electron is influenced by the presence of the others, making the calculations more complex. Understanding the behavior of many-electron systems is crucial in fields such as chemistry and material science.

4. How does quantum mechanics explain the behavior of electrons in atoms?

Quantum mechanics explains the behavior of electrons in atoms through the concept of wave-particle duality. Electrons exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behaviors, and their behavior is described by a mathematical equation known as the Schrödinger equation. This equation takes into account the position, energy, and momentum of the electron, and allows for the calculation of its behavior within an atom.

5. What is the role of quantum mechanics in technology and everyday life?

Quantum mechanics has revolutionized technology in many ways, such as the development of transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as telecommunications, medical imaging, and energy production. In our everyday lives, quantum mechanics is responsible for the functioning of electronic devices and technologies that have become an integral part of modern society.