3-fold degeneracy: what is it?

• Thread starter gioialorusso
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degeneracy
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding a paper on anyons and quantum Hall Effect. The term "3-fold degenerate" in the paper refers to there being three levels with the same energy in the ground state of the electron liquid on a torus. The concept is similar to the energy levels in a hydrogen atom where different values of the quantum number L can have multiple values of m with the same energy. Einj, who is also from Italy, confirms this understanding and suggests further reading on TQC for beginners. The conversation ends with Gioia thanking Einj.
gioialorusso
Hi everybody,
I apologize for my trivial question, I'm reading a paper by Freedman and Kitaev and, when describing anyons and quantum Hall Effect with v=1/3, they say that "the ground state of electron liquid on the torus is 3-fold degenerate". What is the meaning? It means that there are 3 levels with the same energy? I'm sorry, I'm italian and sometimes it's hard to understand english math words.
Is there any paper you would suggest me on TQC for beginners?
Thank you so much,
best regards,
Gioia

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gioia, I'm from Italy too (I think I must however answer in English). However I'm not an expert in anyons, but usually when someone speak about a n-fold degenerate ground state it means exactly what you said. It means that there are n states that have the same energy.
It's the same thing that happen, for example, in hydrogen atom when, for any given value of the quantum number L you have many values of m (between -L and L) that share the same energy.
I hope I haven't writter stupid things.

Einj

Thank you so much, Einj.

Gioia

1. What is 3-fold degeneracy?

3-fold degeneracy is a term used in genetics to describe a situation where a particular amino acid can be coded for by three different nucleotide sequences, known as codons.

2. How does 3-fold degeneracy affect protein synthesis?

3-fold degeneracy allows for redundancy in the genetic code, meaning that even if one nucleotide in a codon is changed, the same amino acid can still be coded for. This reduces the likelihood of harmful mutations affecting protein synthesis.

3. Can 3-fold degeneracy lead to errors in protein synthesis?

In some cases, 3-fold degeneracy can lead to errors in protein synthesis if a mutation occurs in a codon that codes for a different amino acid with similar properties. This can result in a misfolded or non-functional protein.

4. Is 3-fold degeneracy present in all organisms?

Yes, 3-fold degeneracy is a universal feature of the genetic code and is present in all known organisms.

5. How does 3-fold degeneracy contribute to genetic diversity?

3-fold degeneracy allows for a greater variety of nucleotide sequences to code for the same amino acid, which can result in a wider range of protein structures and functions. This contributes to genetic diversity within a population.