Thin film interference on pavement

In summary, the problem involves a thin film of oil (n = 1.26) on a smooth, wet pavement that appears red when viewed perpendicular to the pavement. The equation 2nt = (m+1/2)lambda can be used to determine the thickness of the oil film, but it is unclear which wavelength to use due to conflicting constructive and destructive interference at 640 nm and 512 nm, respectively. Assistance is needed to solve the problem.
Kawrae
A thin film of oil (n = 1.26) is located on a smooth, wet pavement. When viewed perpendicular to the pavement, the film appears to be predominantly red (640 nm) and has no component of wavelength 512 nm. How thick is the oil film?

I'm getting confused by the use of two wavelengths in this problem... I'm pretty sure I need to use the equation 2nt = (m+1/2)lambda and solve for t. But what wavelength do I use? I don't understand what it means when it says "...has no component of wavelength 512nm"

Can someone help me with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kawrae said:
A thin film of oil (n = 1.26) is located on a smooth, wet pavement. When viewed perpendicular to the pavement, the film appears to be predominantly red (640 nm) and has no component of wavelength 512 nm. How thick is the oil film?

I'm getting confused by the use of two wavelengths in this problem... I'm pretty sure I need to use the equation 2nt = (m+1/2)lambda and solve for t. But what wavelength do I use? I don't understand what it means when it says "...has no component of wavelength 512nm"

Can someone help me with this?

There is constructive interference at 640 nm and destructive interference at 512 nm.

ehild

Sure, let's break down the problem step by step. First, the equation you mentioned, 2nt = (m+1/2)lambda, is known as the thin film interference equation and is used to calculate the thickness of a thin film of a given refractive index when it is viewed perpendicularly. In this problem, we are given the refractive index of the oil (n = 1.26) and the wavelength of the red light (640 nm). We can use these values to solve for the thickness of the oil film.

However, the statement "has no component of wavelength 512 nm" is a bit confusing and may require some clarification. In thin film interference, the colors we see are a result of constructive and destructive interference of light waves of different wavelengths. The fact that there is no component of wavelength 512 nm means that there is no constructive interference happening at that specific wavelength, so we won't see any green light in the reflected light from the oil film.

Now, let's plug in the values we have into the thin film interference equation. We have n = 1.26, lambda = 640 nm, and m = 0 (since there is no constructive interference at 512 nm). This gives us:

2(1.26)t = (0+1/2)(640 nm)

Simplifying, we get:

2.52t = 320 nm

Dividing both sides by 2.52, we get:

t = 320 nm / 2.52 = 126.98 nm

So, the thickness of the oil film on the pavement is approximately 126.98 nm. Keep in mind that this calculation assumes that the oil film is uniform in thickness and that there are no other factors affecting the interference pattern. I hope this helps clarify the problem for you!

What is thin film interference on pavement?

Thin film interference on pavement is a phenomenon where light waves reflecting off the surface of a thin film of liquid on pavement interfere with each other, creating a pattern of bright and dark colors.

What causes thin film interference on pavement?

Thin film interference on pavement is caused by the difference in the refractive index of the thin film of liquid and the pavement surface, which causes the light waves to reflect at different angles and interfere with each other.

How does thin film interference affect pavement surfaces?

Thin film interference on pavement can affect the appearance of the pavement surface, creating a colorful pattern that can be distracting to drivers. It can also lead to changes in the texture and traction of the pavement, which can affect the safety of the road.

Can thin film interference on pavement be prevented?

Thin film interference on pavement cannot be prevented, as it is a natural phenomenon. However, it can be reduced by regularly cleaning and maintaining pavement surfaces to minimize the presence of thin films of liquid.

Is thin film interference on pavement harmful?

Thin film interference on pavement is not harmful to humans or the environment. It is simply a visual effect caused by the interaction of light with different surfaces and substances on the pavement.