Neutrinos-Antineutrinos in the universe

In summary: The Earth does produce antineutrinos; they are from the decay of radioactive nuclei.This is correct. We also produce antineutrinos from beta decay, but they are much harder to detect.
omiros
Hello everybody, I am a first year physics student and I have a question about neutrinos and antineutrinos.

In a beta minus decay we will get an antineutrino, so I assume that Earth 'produces' more antineutrinos. Does it?

However from a beta plus we get neutrinos and positrons. So does that mean that we had more protons in the beginning that started becoming neutrons? Do the neutrinos that we find now, were mostly created after the big bang?

Do neutrino detectors detect antineutrinos too?

----------------------------------------------------------

Does that mean that the number of the electrons in stars etc is getting smaller, cause of positrons? (random)

Physics news on Phys.org
omiros said:
Do the neutrinos that we find now, were mostly created after the big bang?
Most of the neutrinos we detect are solar neutrinos coming from p + P → d + e+ + ν. Neutrinos from the big bang are known as relic neutrinos and are too low energy to be detectable.

A few neutrinos from supernovae and other cosmic events can be detected, together with atmospheric neutrinos (produced by cosmic rays hitting our atmosphere) and nuclear reactor antineutrinos (beta- decays, so just antineutrinos).

Similar to the cosmic microwave background, primordial neutrinos (= from the big bang) lost energy during the expansion of space, so current detectors are not sensitive enough to see them.

omiros said:
In a beta minus decay we will get an antineutrino, so I assume that Earth 'produces' more antineutrinos. Does it?
The Earth does produce antineutrinos; they are from the decay of radioactive nuclei (http://www.physicstoday.org/resource/1/phtoad/v64/i9/p14_s1). I am sure the Earth produces neutrinos as well, but I am not aware of a similar measurement for them.

omiros said:
It depends on the method they are using for detection (Wikipedia- Neutrino detector).

Hi Bill:

Bill_K said:
Most of the neutrinos we detect are solar neutrinos coming from p + P → d + e+ + ν.

Is the "P" here a typo where "p" was intended? If not, whar does "P" mean?

omiros said:

It depends on what and how you want to measure in neutrino detectors and what detectors you are using.

Buzz Bloom said:
Is the "P" here a typo where "p" was intended? If not, whar does "P" mean?
It was a two year old typo (and as the thread is very old, I'll close it, feel free to discuss in other threads or open a new one).

Actually, it was not correct either because neutrinos from that particular reaction are very low-energetic and hard to detect, that was achieved for the first time in 2014.

1. What are neutrinos and antineutrinos?

Neutrinos and antineutrinos are subatomic particles that have no electric charge and a very small mass. They are created in various nuclear reactions and can travel at nearly the speed of light.

2. How do neutrinos and antineutrinos differ from each other?

Neutrinos and antineutrinos are identical in mass and spin, but they have opposite quantum mechanical properties, such as lepton number and chirality.

3. How are neutrinos and antineutrinos detected?

Neutrinos and antineutrinos are detected through their interactions with matter. These interactions can produce detectable particles, such as electrons, which can be observed using specialized detectors.

4. What role do neutrinos and antineutrinos play in the universe?

Neutrinos and antineutrinos are considered fundamental particles and are believed to be one of the building blocks of the universe. They are also important in astrophysics, as they are produced in large quantities in stars and can provide insight into their inner workings.

5. Can neutrinos and antineutrinos be harnessed for energy?

While neutrinos and antineutrinos have been proposed as potential sources of energy, their extremely low interaction rate with matter makes it currently impossible to harness them for practical use.