A question in coupled differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a system of differential equations with constant coefficients and finding the values of the variables x, y, and z. The conversation covers using linear algebra to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the coefficient matrix, which can then be used to find the general solution to the system of equations. The conversation also briefly mentions using Mathematica to calculate the eigenvalues and eigenvectors.
uob_student
Hello

i have a question :

dx/dt=(a*x)+(b*y)+(c*z)

dy/dt=(d*x)+(e*y)+(f*z)

dz/dt=(g*x)+(h*y)+(i*z)

where a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i are constants

i want a proof of this and finding the values of x,y and z??

:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Proof of what??.
What do you mean by finding "the values of x,y,z"?
x(t), y(t), z(t) are FUNCTIONS of the variable "t", do you want to find which set of functions satisfies your system of differential equations?

arildno said:
Proof of what??.
What do you mean by finding "the values of x,y,z"?
x(t), y(t), z(t) are FUNCTIONS of the variable "t", do you want to find which set of functions satisfies your system of differential equations?

oh , i don't want a proof

I want the set of functions satisfies that system of differential equations

what do you know of linear algebra?

So in general, determine the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the coefficient matrix.

First start with finding the eigenvalues via:

[tex]\text{det}\left(\mathbf{A}-\lambda\mathbf{I}\right)=0[/tex]

Then calculate the eigenvectors as:

[tex]\mathbf{A}\mathbf{X}=\lambda_i\mathbf{X}[/tex]

For each eigenvalue-eigenvector pair, there is a solution.

Linear combinations of the solutions create the general solution.

Edit: Oh by the way, what do the solutions look like anyway?

Last edited:
:rolleyes: thank you for your helping

my idea is :

suppose

x(t)=x(0) exp(iwt)

y(t)=y(0) exp(iwt)

z(t)=z(0) exp(iwt)

how can i solve my previous question by using this informations??

Well, using the eigenvalues, end up with a matrix equation for the solution in the form:

[tex]
\mathbf{X}=c_1e^{\lambda_1 t}
\left(
\begin{array}{c} v_1 \\
v_2 \\
v_3 \\
\end{array}
\right)
+ c_2 e^{\lambda_2 t}
\left(
\begin{array}{c} r_1 \\
r_2 \\
r_3 \\
\end{array}
\right)
+ c_3 e^{\lambda_3 t}
\left(
\begin{array}{c} s_1 \\
s_2 \\
s_3 \\
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

Well, I have a question about this. That means what I'm about to say I'm not sure of:

In the case of complex eigenvalues, I assume the solution is of the form:
[tex]
\mathbf{X}=c_1e^{\lambda_1 t}
\left(
\begin{array}{c} v_1 \\
v_2 \\
v_3 \\
\end{array}
\right)
+ c_2\mathbf{Y}+c_3\mathbf{Z}
[/tex]

where Y and Z are the real and imaginary parts respectively of the complex-eigenvalue contribution.

Well . . . suppose I should just work one and find out. Hum . . . let me see . . . Ok, how about this one:

[tex]
\mathbf{X}^{'}=
\left(
\begin{array}{ccc} 1 & 0 & 3 \\
0 & -1 & 0 \\
-3 & 0 & 1
\end{array}
\right)
\mathbf{X};\quad
\mathbf{X}(0)=
\left(
\begin{array}{c} x_0 \\
y_0 \\
z_0
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

You game Uob or what?

Last edited:
Suppose I should start with calculating eigenvalues:

[tex]
\text{det}\left(\mathbf{A}-\lambda\mathbf{I}\right)=0
[/tex]

so for the 3x3 matrix above, that would be:

[tex]
\text{det}\left(\mathbf{A}-\lambda\mathbf{I}\right)=
(1-\lambda)
\left(
\begin{array}{cc} -(1+\lambda} & 0 \\
0 & (1-\lambda)
\end{array}
\right)+3
\left(
\begin{array}{cc} 0, &-(1+\lambda} \\
-3 & 0
\end{array}\right)=0
[/tex]

or:

[tex]
-10-8\lambda+\lambda^2-\lambda^3=0
[/tex]

Since this is not a problem focusing on cubic equations, I simply use Mathematica to calcualte the eigenvalues:

[tex]\text{Eigenvalues[Matrix]}[/tex]

They are:

[tex]\lambda_1=-1[/tex]

[tex]\lambda_2=1+3i[/tex]

[tex]\lambda_3=1-3i[/tex]

Last edited:
Did I mention Mathematica has an Eigenvector[Matrix] command? However, I'm not good at calculating eigenvectors so I really should do a few by hand:

The eigenvector equation is simple:

[tex]
\mathbf{M}v=\lambda v
[/tex]

So for:

[tex]
\lambda_1=-1
[/tex]

[tex]
\left(
0 & -1 & 0 \\
-3 & 0 & 1
\end{array}
\right)
\left(
\begin{array}{c} x \\
y \\
z
\end{array}
\right)=-1
\left(
\begin{array}{c} x \\
y \\
z
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

So:

[tex]x+3z=-x[/tex]

[tex]-y=-y[/tex]

[tex]-3x+z=-z[/tex]

The middle one is easy:

[tex]
0y=0
[/tex]

That means y can be anything so let y=1.
The other two:

[tex]2x+3z=0 [/tex]

[tex]-3x+2z=0[/tex]

The simple thing here, since we're looking for ANY eigenvector, is to just pick the zero solution and thus:

[tex]
v_1=
\left(
\begin{array}{c} 0 \\
1 \\
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

For:

[tex]
\lambda_2=(1+3i)
[/tex]

[tex]
\left(
0 & -1 & 0 \\
-3 & 0 & 1
\end{array}
\right)
\left(
\begin{array}{c} x \\
y \\
z
\end{array}
\right)=(1+3i)
\left(
\begin{array}{c} x \\
y \\
z
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

So that's:

[tex]x+3z=(1+3i)x[/tex]

[tex]-y=(1+3i)y[/tex]

[tex]-3x+z=(1+3i)z[/tex]

For the middle one, the only way ay=y is if y=0. The other two yield:

[tex]
3z=3ix
[/tex]

or:

[tex]z=ix[/tex]

so let x=1 and z=i.

Thus:

[tex]
v_2=
\left(
\begin{array}{c} 1 \\
0 \\
i
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

Same dif for the other eigenvalue which yields:

[tex]
v_3=
\left(
\begin{array}{c} 1 \\
0 \\
-i
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

Mathematica returns equivalent eigenvectors.
Thus we are led to the solution in matrix form:

[tex]
\mathbf{X}=c_1e^{-t}
\left(
\begin{array}{c} 0 \\
1 \\
\end{array}
\right)+
c_2e^{(1+3i)t}
\left(
\begin{array}{c} 1 \\
0 \\
i
\end{array}
\right)+
c_3e^{(1-3i)t}
\left(
\begin{array}{c} 1 \\
0 \\
-i
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

You ever work a problem and the answer is just as difficult as the question?

Last edited:
saltydog said:
Suppose I should start with calculating eigenvalues:
[tex]
[/tex]
so for the 3x3 matrix above, that would be:
[tex]
(1-\lambda)
\left(
0 & (1-\lambda)
\end{array}
\right)+3
\left(
-3 & 0
\end{array}\right)=0
[/tex]
or:
[tex]
[/tex]
Since this is not a problem focusing on cubic equations, I simply use Mathematica to calcualte the eigenvalues:
[tex]\text{Eigenvalues[Matrix]}[/tex]
They are:
[tex]\lambda_1=-1[/tex]
[tex]\lambda_2=1+3i[/tex]
[tex]\lambda_3=1-3i[/tex]

thanks

but how you can find the values of Lambdas in your solution??

uob_student said:
thanks
but how you can find the values of Lambdas in your solution??

By solving the eigenvalue equation:

[tex]
[/tex]

So performing that matrix algebra gives us:

[tex]
(1-\lambda)
\left(
0 & (1-\lambda)
\end{array}
\right)+3
\left(
-3 & 0
\end{array}\right)=0
[/tex]
or:
[tex]
[/tex]

Is that what you're having problems with or just figuring the roots of that cubic equation?

After reviewing, I wish to clear up two points in my efforts to solve this equation:

1. There is no need to directly calculate the eigenvector of [itex] \lambda_3[/itex]:

The complex conjugate of an eigenvector for [itex] \lambda_2[/itex] is an eigenvector for [itex]\lambda_3[/tex].

So above I calculated the eigenvector for [itex](1+3i)[/itex] to be:

[tex]v_2=\left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\0 \\i\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Therefore to calculate the eigenvector for [itex](1-3i)[/itex], conjugate the eigenvector for [itex](1+3i)[/tex]:

If:

[tex]v_2=\left(\begin{array}{c} 1+0i \\0+0i \\0+i\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Then:

[tex]\overline{v_2}=v_3=\left(\begin{array}{c} 1-0i \\0-i \\0-i\end{array}\right)=\left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\0 \\-i\end{array}\right)[/tex]

See how that works?

Ok that's one.

2. The complex eigenvalues both yield the same solution! That is, the solution from (1+3i) is the same solution as that from (1-3i). Go figure. I did. So that's the reason we only need calculate the Real and Complex contribution from ONE member of each complex pair. And also, it's VERY convenient to write the eigenvectors as:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\0 \\-i\end{array}\right)=\left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\0 \\0\end{array}\right)+i\left(\begin{array}{c} 0 \\0 \\1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Alright, so let's compute the Real part and the Complex part for:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
e^{(1+3i)t}\left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\0 \\i\end{array}\right)
&=e^{(1+3i)t}\left[\left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\0 \\0\end{array}\right)+i\left(\begin{array}{c} 0 \\0 \\1\end{array}\right)\right] \\
&=e^t\left[(Cos(3t)+iSin(3t))\left\{\left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\0 \\0\end{array}\right)+
i\left(\begin{array}{c} 0 \\0 \\1\end{array}\right)\right\}\right] \\
&=e^t\left[Cos(3t)\left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\0 \\0\end{array}\right)+iCos(3t)\left(\begin{array}{c} 0 \\0 \\1\end{array}\right)+iSin(3t)\left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\0 \\0\end{array}\right)-Sin(3t)\left(\begin{array}{c} 0 \\0 \\1\end{array}\right)\right] \\
&=e^t\left[\left\{Cos(3t)\left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\0 \\0\end{array}\right)-Sin(3t)\left(\begin{array}{c} 0 \\0 \\1\end{array}\right)\right\}+i\left\{Cos(3t)\left(\begin{array}{c} 0 \\0 \\1\end{array}\right)+Sin(3t)\left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\0 \\0\end{array}\right)\right\}\right]
\end{align}
[/tex]

Note how the Real and Complex parts have been separated. Each one is a solution to the system. Therefore, this with the first solution then yields the general solution:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\mathbf{X}&=C_1e^{-t}\left(\begin{array}{c} 0 \\1 \\0\end{array}\right) \\
&+e^t\left[C_2\left\{Cos(3t)\left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\0 \\0\end{array}\right)-Sin(3t)\left(\begin{array}{c} 0 \\0 \\1\end{array}\right)\right\}+C_3\left\{Cos(3t)\left(\begin{array}{c} 0 \\0 \\1\end{array}\right)+Sin(3t)\left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\0 \\0\end{array}\right)\right\}\right]
\end{align}
[/tex]

That's read as:

[tex]x(t)=C_2e^tCos(3t)+C_3e^tSin(3t)[/tex]

[tex]y(t)=C_1e^{-t}[/tex]

[tex]z(t)=-C_2e^tSin(3t)+C_3e^tCos(3t)[/tex]

So how about a 4x4, two complex-conjugate pairs. Suppose only need to calculate an eigenvalue-eigenvector for one member of each set, and then just do what I did above.:smile:

Last edited:
saltydog said:
By solving the eigenvalue equation:

Is that what you're having problems with or just figuring the roots of that cubic equation?

thanks but I want just how you figuring the roots of that cubic equation?:smile:

uob_student said:
thanks but I want just how you figuring the roots of that cubic equation?:smile:

You mean of course "other than Mathematica or other software" right? Well, the approach is first to just guess integer values close to 0 and see if when substituted they work. If one does, then apply synthetic division to split-out the resulting quadratic. There's always those nice formulas for cubics right? Then of course use successive approximations and Newton's method.

saltydog said:
You mean of course "other than Mathematica or other software" right? Well, the approach is first to just guess integer values close to 0 and see if when substituted they work. If one does, then apply synthetic division to split-out the resulting quadratic. There's always those nice formulas for cubics right? Then of course use successive approximations and Newton's method.

can you explain that??

uob_student said:
can you explain that??

Which part? Be more specific. I'll be leaving soon however. If you like, just start another thread in the homework section and ask about finding roots to cubics.:smile:

1. What is a coupled differential equation?

A coupled differential equation is a type of differential equation in which multiple dependent variables are related to each other through their derivatives. This means that the rate of change of one variable is dependent on the value of another variable. These equations are commonly used to model complex systems in physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering.

2. How is a coupled differential equation solved?

The solution to a coupled differential equation involves finding a set of functions that satisfy all of the equations simultaneously. This can be done analytically, through methods such as separation of variables or variation of parameters, or numerically, using computer algorithms. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the equations and the desired level of accuracy.

3. What are some real-world applications of coupled differential equations?

Coupled differential equations are used to model a wide range of physical phenomena, such as chemical reactions, population dynamics, electrical circuits, and fluid flow. They are also used in engineering to design systems and predict their behavior. Additionally, coupled differential equations are crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of complex biological systems, such as the human body.

4. How are coupled differential equations different from ordinary differential equations?

The main difference between coupled differential equations and ordinary differential equations is that the former involves multiple dependent variables that are related to each other, while the latter only involves one dependent variable. This makes coupled differential equations more complex and challenging to solve, but also allows for a more comprehensive modeling of real-world systems.

5. What are some techniques for solving coupled differential equations?

As mentioned before, coupled differential equations can be solved analytically or numerically. Some common techniques for solving coupled differential equations include separation of variables, variation of parameters, Laplace transforms, and numerical methods such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods. The choice of technique depends on the specific equations and the desired level of accuracy.