Does it make since if it takes 675 food Calories to lift me up 17 ft?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the amount of work needed to lift someone up 17 ft vertically. The calculation is done using the formula PE=mgh, where PE is potential energy, m is mass, g is gravity, and h is height. The person's weight is converted to mass and then multiplied by gravity and height to get the work done, which is equal to 2,826,303.72 Joules. This is then converted to food Calories, resulting in an answer of approximately 675 food Calories. However, it is noted that the original calculation was incorrect due to converting the weight from pounds to grams instead of kilograms. The correct calculation results in a more reasonable answer.
mcca408
does it make since if it takes 675 food Calories to lift me up 17 ft
look below

*IGNORING HORIZONTAL DISTANCE*
i got to figure out how much work is done to get myself up from my class to the cafeteria which is 17 ft in vertical hieght
PE=mgh
my weight is 120 lbs i converted to mass
54.545 Kg which makes 54,545 g

multiply that by gravity 10 (yes i know 9.8 but my teacher is stupid and confusing)

then multiply that by hieght which is 17 ft but its got to be Meters so i did 5.1816

so i get Work = 2,826,303.72 Joules
got to convert that to FOOD Cal and i got around 675
with this conversion
J * (1 cal/4.187J) * (1 Food Cal/1,000cal) = Food Calories

so does that makes since it takes 675 food Calories to lift me up 17 ft

Physics news on Phys.org
The standard unit for mass is kilograms. Your answer is 1000 times too big because you converted kilograms to grams.

mass is in kilograms

thanks now i got a more resonable answer

1. How is the number of food Calories calculated for this task?

The number of food Calories is calculated based on the amount of energy required to lift a person's body weight (typically assumed to be around 150 lbs) 17 ft off the ground. This energy is measured in terms of Calories, which are a unit of energy commonly used in nutrition to measure the amount of energy provided by food.

2. What is the conversion rate between food Calories and lifting energy?

The conversion rate between food Calories and lifting energy can vary depending on factors such as a person's weight, physical fitness, and the specific task being performed. However, on average, it takes about 3,500 food Calories to equal one pound of lifting energy. Therefore, it would take approximately 675 food Calories to lift a person 17 ft off the ground.

3. How does the amount of food Calories correlate to the height lifted?

The amount of food Calories consumed is directly proportional to the height lifted. This means that the more food Calories consumed, the higher a person can be lifted. However, other factors such as muscle strength and body weight also play a role in determining the height a person can be lifted.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the amount of food Calories needed to lift a person?

Yes, in addition to body weight and physical fitness, other factors such as the effort exerted by the person lifting and the efficiency of the lifting mechanism can also affect the amount of food Calories needed. For example, if a person is using a pulley system to lift themselves, it may require less food Calories compared to if they were lifting themselves solely through their own muscle strength.

5. Is it possible to calculate the exact number of food Calories needed for this task?

While it is possible to estimate the number of food Calories needed based on average conversion rates, it is difficult to calculate the exact number of food Calories needed for this task. This is because there are many variables that can affect the amount of energy required, and it is not a precise science. However, the estimated number of 675 food Calories is a good approximation for this task.