What is the Limit of a Convergent Series with Increasing Upper Bound?

In summary, the first question deals with proving that if a function is Riemann integrable on [a, b] and is zero at every rational number, then the integral of that function from a to b is also zero. The second question involves showing that the integral of a given function exists on the interval [0, π] and finding its value. The third question asks for a relatively straight-forward proof that the limit of the integral of a Riemann integrable function multiplied by cos(nx) approaches 0 as n approaches infinity. Finally, there is a request for help in simplifying a limit involving a sum.
pakkman
1. If f is Riemann integrable from a to b, and for every rational number r, f(r)=0, then show that the integral from a to b of f(x) is 0.

The problem with this question is that you don't know what f is at an irrational. I know that I'm probably supposed to use that rationals are dense in R, but other than that, I'm not sure.

2. Let f(x)= sigma sin nx/(n-1)! where sigma is the sum from n=1 to infinity. Show that the int f(x)dx exists (Riemann integral is from 0 to pi), and evaluate.

So, I guess I show that the integral exists because f(x) is pointwise continuous? I'm really confused on this question, and how I can evaluate it.

3. What's a relatively straigt-forward way of proving that if f is riemann integrable, then lim n-> infinity of int f(x) cosnx dx =0, where the integral is evaluated from a to b? Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
pakkman said:
1. If f is Riemann integrable from a to b, and for every rational number r, f(r)=0, then show that the integral from a to b of f(x) is 0.

The problem with this question is that you don't know what f is at an irrational. I know that I'm probably supposed to use that rationals are dense in R, but other than that, I'm not sure.
You probably also need to use the fact that f is Riemann integrable on [a, b].

2. Let f(x)= sigma sin nx/(n-1)! where sigma is the sum from n=1 to infinity. Show that the int f(x)dx exists (Riemann integral is from 0 to pi), and evaluate.

So, I guess I show that the integral exists because f(x) is pointwise continuous? I'm really confused on this question, and how I can evaluate it.
Cast rigor aside for a moment; try to evaluate this integral naively.

3. What's a relatively straigt-forward way of proving that if f is riemann integrable, then lim n-> infinity of int f(x) cosnx dx =0, where the integral is evaluated from a to b? Any hints?
The first thing I notice is that cos nx oscillates very quickly when n is big. Also, I strongly suspect you are in the "interchanging limits" section of your course...

Actually, before I did any serious work on this problem, I would do a quick search for a theorem that would prove this statement. There are a lot of useful integral theorems I cannot remember, and this smells like the kind of thing that might be proven by one of them.

Last edited:
I got 3 and I got part of 2. Is sigma (-1)^n/n! (sum from 0 to infinity) -e^-1? I vaguely remember this, but not sure about teh proof...

I'm still really stumped on question 1. Can someone clarify?

I'm also trying to figure out the value of lim n->infinity of sigma k/(n^2+k^2) where the sum is from k=0 to k=2n. I guess I have to do some manipulation of the summand quantity, but I'd really appreciate a hint.

For f to be Riemann integrable, the least upper bound of step functions less than f must have area equal to the greatest lower bound of step functions greater than f.

I would suggest you start by looking at functions like f(r)=0 if r is rational, and 1 if r is irrational. Try finding what the upper and lower integrals of f are there, and you'll start to get an intuitive feel for why the integral must be zero for it to exist

Office_Shredder said:
For f to be Riemann integrable, the least upper bound of step functions less than f must have area equal to the greatest lower bound of step functions greater than f.

I would suggest you start by looking at functions like f(r)=0 if r is rational, and 1 if r is irrational. Try finding what the upper and lower integrals of f are there, and you'll start to get an intuitive feel for why the integral must be zero for it to exist

Thanks... it helps intuitively, but I'm having a little trouble with a formal proof. I'll keep working on it.

Can someone help me on lim n->infinity of sigma k/(n^2+k^2) where the sum is from k=0 to k=2n.? I can't seem to simplify it. I know it converges (from Matlab), and it really depends on the upper value of k (whether it's 2n, or 3n, or 4n, etc.)

1. What is the difference between an integral and a series?

An integral represents the area under a curve, while a series is the sum of an infinite number of terms. In other words, an integral is a continuous function while a series is a discrete function.

2. How do you solve an integral or series?

The method for solving an integral or series depends on the specific problem at hand. In general, integrals can be solved using techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. Series can be solved using methods such as the geometric series test, the integral test, or the ratio test.

3. What is the purpose of using integrals and series in mathematics?

Integrals and series are important concepts in mathematics as they allow us to calculate and understand the behavior of continuous and discrete functions, respectively. They are used in many areas of mathematics, such as calculus, differential equations, and statistics.

4. Can integrals and series be used in real-world applications?

Yes, integrals and series have numerous real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. For example, integrals can be used to calculate the area under a velocity-time graph to determine an object's displacement, while series can be used to model population growth.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving integrals and series?

While there are some common techniques and methods for solving integrals and series, there is no shortcut or trick that can be applied universally. The best approach is to practice and become familiar with different techniques and methods, and to carefully analyze each problem to determine the most efficient way to solve it.