8.9 earthquake in Japan: tsunami warnings

In summary: South America. In summary, an 8.9 earthquake struck Japan today, triggering a tsunami that has already killed 382 people and swept away hundreds of homes. The quake is likely to trigger more aftershocks, and people living along the west coast of North America and Central and South America should prepare for possible flooding.
Lacy33
8.9 earthquake in Japan: tsunami warnings

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Sorry you have to go there next week Greg.
Good Luck.
And to all people and PFers in the path of tsunamis on the way to other countries right now.

MAP 8.9 2011/03/11 05:46:24 38.322 142.369 24.4 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.php [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, cars washing up like driftwood. that makes katrina look pretty small.

does it have anyhting to do iwth the moon's closest approach ?

Thank God Japan is prepared for events like this.

Shocking video, a lot of damage. I hope the aftershocks lesson. So grateful for Facebook, my nephew at Atsugi base is ok.

Last edited:
I hope that casualties are as minimal as possible.

http://www.weather.gov/ptwc/" [Broken]

Lots of large aftershocks:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Maps/10/140_40.php [Broken][PLAIN]http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Maps/10/140_40.gif [Broken]
The image above is the current one from USGS, so it will eventually go out of date. Red is the last hour, Blue is the last day and Yellow is the last week.

Scary, the worst earthquake in Japanese history, 10 meter tsunami, 40+ killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4lIFEDFYIw

Wow, I woke up to this this morning, MSNBC seems to have the most pictures (at the moment) I attached this thumbnail of a 4 story building in the hook of a wave about to be swept... Those poor people...

Rhody... :bugeye:

Terrible news. My nephew got transferred to Hawaii when he was commissioned as a warrant officer. I'm not worried for him, since he is normally deployed and at sea, however his wife and daughter are back in Honolulu.

The most 'powerful' part of the tsunami hits Hawaii in approx 10 min... and southern California in 4 hr from now...

Waves are predicted to hit the western coast of the United States between 11 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. EST Friday. People near the beach and in low-lying coastal areas of Point Conception in Santa Barbara County were told to move immediately inland to higher ground.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_re_us/us_japan_earthquake_pacific [Broken]

For those living along the west coast of Canada, US and Mexico and Central and South America, including inlets near the sea - stay away from beaches and low lying areas!

http://www.weather.gov/ptwc/" [Broken]

[PLAIN]http://www.weather.gov/ptwc/images/nglobal_map.jpg [Broken]

This looks quite ugly but I hope there aren't many casualties

Oh stercore on a cart with... OK I really want to swear right now.

I have a friend on the 'big island' in Hawaii, but worse, I have a friend (had?) in Honshu!

******@*@*@$^*@!+

Police said 200 to 300 bodies were found in the northeastern coastal city of Sendai. Another 88 were confirmed killed and at least 349 were missing. The death toll was likely to continue climbing given the scale of the disaster.

. . . .
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110311/ap_on_re_as/as_japan_earthquake [Broken]

They certainly weren't prepared!

Along the western Pacifici, people should anticipate a mag 9+ earthquake, which might be rare, but is really inevitable. When events don't happen for one or two generations, people become complacent, and then are surprised when a catastrophic event does occur.

The swarm off Sendai was preceded by a mag 7.2 on March 9. Following the mag 8.9, there was a mag 7.1 and many between mag 6 and 7. There have been three mag 6.5 along the northern edge of the Australia plate. Alot of energy is being released at the moment, but other areas are loading up.

7.2 2011/03/09 02:45:20 38.424 142.836 32.0
8.9 2011/03/11 05:46:23 38.322 142.369 24.4

Any populated area along the Pacific coast is susceptible to such an event based on the proximity to the Pacific Ring of Fire (techtonic plate intersections).

The tsunami off the coast of Sendai will move toward Japan's coast and out across the Pacific Ocean. Australia is more or less protected by New Guinea and the Phillipines, and New Zealand partly by the Solomon Islands, Fiji, Vanuatu and Tonga.

Terrible news. More and more deaths are being discovered.

Nuclear plants are being shut down also.

dlgoff said:
Terrible news. More and more deaths are being discovered.

Nuclear plants are being shut down also.

Japan ordered thousands of residents near a northeastern nuclear power plant to evacuate on Friday following a massive earthquake that caused a problem in the plant's cooling system.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said the Fukushima No. 1 power plant was not leaking radiation.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=%2Fn%2Fa%2F2011%2F03%2F11%2Finternational%2Fi050530S54.DTL [Broken]

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110311/ap_on_re_as/as_japan_earthquake [Broken]

They certainly weren't prepared!

Along the western Pacifici, people should anticipate a mag 9+ earthquake, which might be rare, but is really inevitable. When events don't happen for one or two generations, people become complacent, and then are surprised when a catastrophic event does occur.

The swarm off Sendai was preceded by a mag 7.2 on March 9. Following the mag 8.9, there was a mag 7.1 and many between mag 6 and 7. There have been three mag 6.5 along the northern edge of the Australia plate. Alot of energy is being released at the moment, but other areas are loading up.

7.2 2011/03/09 02:45:20 38.424 142.836 32.0
8.9 2011/03/11 05:46:23 38.322 142.369 24.4

Any populated area along the Pacific coast is susceptible to such an event based on the proximity to the Pacific Ring of Fire (techtonic plate intersections).

The tsunami off the coast of Sendai will move toward Japan's coast and out across the Pacific Ocean. Australia is more or less protected by New Guinea and the Phillipines, and New Zealand partly by the Solomon Islands, Fiji, Vanuatu and Tonga.

Thanks for the good info Astronuc... happy info, but good.

@dlgoff: They seem to be concerned about one plant in particular, but... and I think Astronuc is best suited to answer this... would even a serious flood prevent a SCRAM?

nismaratwork said:
@dlgoff: They seem to be concerned about one plant in particular, but... and I think Astronuc is best suited to answer this... would even a serious flood prevent a SCRAM?
As far as I know, the units were scrammed as the systems are designed to do so.

One of the units has some problems with its cooling system, which would be the Residual Heat Removal system. The RHR removes decay heat from the core after the plant is shutdown, particularly when the units are depressurized. Even if there is a minor deviation from the expected or anticipated operation, staff will take the precautionary step of alerting the local government of a problem.

Update:
Cabinet official: Efforts to cool a reactor at a nuclear power plant "are not going as planned"

Apparently Units 1 and 2 at Fukushima Daiichi (Fukushima Plant 1) have lost power. They should be powered by Emergency Diesel Generators, which should provide power to cooling pumps. It's possible the EDGs and/or pumps were damaged.

In theory, they should be able to use natural circulation.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
As far as I know, the units were scrammed as the systems are designed to do so.

One of the units has some problems with its cooling system, which would be the Residual Heat Removal system. The RHR removes decay heat from the core after the plant is shutdown, particularly when the units are depressurized. Even if there is a minor deviation from the expected or anticipated operation, staff will take the precautionary step of alerting the local government of a problem.

That certainly makes sense... so the reaction is already dead, but they're concerned about the remote possibility of... what exactly? A rupture in the reactor vessels being contaminated with seawater, and visa versa?

I assumed that pumping a load of neutron toxins, control rods, etc... into a reactor was pretty useful at keeping anything worse than radiological contamination from occurring... maybe a bad assumption.

nismaratwork said:
That certainly makes sense... so the reaction is already dead, but they're concerned about the remote possibility of... what exactly? A rupture in the reactor vessels being contaminated with seawater, and visa versa?

I assumed that pumping a load of neutron toxins, control rods, etc... into a reactor was pretty useful at keeping anything worse than radiological contamination from occurring... maybe a bad assumption.
They would be concerned about maintaining coolability of the cores according to their mandatory requirements. They should have a plan for "what if".

It appears from this article that Units 1, 2 and 3 were operating, but shutdown because of the quake.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/11/uk-japan-quake-reactor-idUSLNE72A06L20110311

The emergency power system for Units 1 and 2 failed. Hopefully they can restore the system, or use contingency plans.

Without power, the would be concerned about the coolant getting too hot, which means higher than normally allowed, but which still could be within design parameters for emergency situations. However, we prefer not to allow the core to get outside of normal or anticipated conditions.

Basically, they don't want the primary cooling systems to over-pressurize.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
They would be concerned about maintaining coolability of the cores according to their mandatory requirements. They should have a plan for "what if".

It appears from this article that Units 1, 2 and 3 were operating, but shutdown because of the quake.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/11/uk-japan-quake-reactor-idUSLNE72A06L20110311

The emergency power system for Units 1 and 2 failed. Hopefully they can restore the system, or use contingency plans.

Without power, the would be concerned about the coolant getting too hot, which means higher than normally allowed, but which still could be within design parameters for emergency situations. However, we prefer not to allow the core to get outside of normal or anticipated conditions.

Basically, they don't want the primary cooling systems to over-pressurize.

I'm sorry, did you just say, in a very academic and clear way I might add... that they'd be worried about a coolant rupture and subsequent leak? Ouch...

I can see why plan for the worst, hope for the best makes sense in plant engineering.

CNN said:
Fire broke out at a second facility, the Onagawa plant, but crews were able to put that fire out, according to the International Atomic Energy Agency.

Now it seems the IAEA is concerned that one of the reactor vessels may be compromised, but that makes no sense given the reports that there is no radiation leak. I'd assume that kind of thing would be rather obvious from aerial/satellite surveillance?

For those with loved ones in that area, Google has deployed it http://japan.person-finder.appspot.com/?lang=en" [Broken] tool.

<h2>1. What caused the 8.9 earthquake in Japan?</h2><p>The 8.9 earthquake in Japan was caused by the sudden movement of tectonic plates in the Earth's crust. This type of earthquake, known as a megathrust earthquake, occurs when one tectonic plate subducts under another, causing a sudden release of energy.</p><h2>2. How did the earthquake trigger a tsunami?</h2><p>The earthquake in Japan caused a tsunami by displacing a large amount of water in the ocean. As the seafloor moves during an earthquake, it pushes the water above it, creating large waves that can travel long distances.</p><h2>3. What is the impact of the tsunami warnings?</h2><p>The tsunami warnings issued after the 8.9 earthquake in Japan were crucial in helping people evacuate and seek higher ground. The warnings also allowed countries in the Pacific Ocean to prepare for potential tsunami waves and minimize damage.</p><h2>4. How often do earthquakes of this magnitude occur in Japan?</h2><p>Japan is located in the Pacific Ring of Fire, a region known for frequent earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. Earthquakes of this magnitude are not uncommon in Japan, with several occurring every year. However, the country has strict building codes and emergency preparedness measures in place to minimize the impact of these events.</p><h2>5. Can scientists predict when and where an earthquake will occur?</h2><p>While scientists can monitor tectonic activity and identify areas at higher risk for earthquakes, it is currently not possible to predict exactly when and where an earthquake will occur. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology may one day lead to more accurate earthquake forecasting.</p>

1. What caused the 8.9 earthquake in Japan?

The 8.9 earthquake in Japan was caused by the sudden movement of tectonic plates in the Earth's crust. This type of earthquake, known as a megathrust earthquake, occurs when one tectonic plate subducts under another, causing a sudden release of energy.

2. How did the earthquake trigger a tsunami?

The earthquake in Japan caused a tsunami by displacing a large amount of water in the ocean. As the seafloor moves during an earthquake, it pushes the water above it, creating large waves that can travel long distances.

3. What is the impact of the tsunami warnings?

The tsunami warnings issued after the 8.9 earthquake in Japan were crucial in helping people evacuate and seek higher ground. The warnings also allowed countries in the Pacific Ocean to prepare for potential tsunami waves and minimize damage.

4. How often do earthquakes of this magnitude occur in Japan?

Japan is located in the Pacific Ring of Fire, a region known for frequent earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. Earthquakes of this magnitude are not uncommon in Japan, with several occurring every year. However, the country has strict building codes and emergency preparedness measures in place to minimize the impact of these events.

5. Can scientists predict when and where an earthquake will occur?

While scientists can monitor tectonic activity and identify areas at higher risk for earthquakes, it is currently not possible to predict exactly when and where an earthquake will occur. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology may one day lead to more accurate earthquake forecasting.