Why is the event horizon of a black hole considered a 2-dimensional entity?

• Thread starter geordief
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimensions
In summary, the February edition of the New Scientist discusses the possibility of space-time being quantized and how the event horizon of a black hole may encode all information for the 3-dimensional universe inside. The concept of dimensions is explained, with examples of objects that are classified as 2-dimensional in modern math and physics. The conversation also touches on the idea of idealizations and whether these surfaces are just mathematical abstractions.
geordief
Reading the February edition of the New Scientist (about space-time being possiblly quantized in its own right) I read that the event horizon of a black hole is a 2-dimensional entity that may possibly encode all the information to describe the 3- 0r ->3 dimensional universe inside.

That is interesting of course but am I right to wonder how the surface of the black hole can be described as 2-dimensional in the first place?

In my poor little mind it would only qualify as 2 dimensional (and then only in theory) if it was purely idealised as a surface with zero width.

This would be impossible unless the black hole was to exist in isolation to the rest of the universe.

To my mind 1- ,2- 3- dimensional obnjects are all idealisations from the established 4- or higher dimensional setup we work in at the moment.

That seems to be my main point: I can cope with gazillions of hypothetical extra dimensions but not with any subtraction of those we already seem to be dealing with.

Have I got things by the wrong handle somehow or am I just naturally obtuse (or both obviously) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
When it comes to dimensions, you have to think a little differently. When you hear of a two dimensional object you're probably thinking of a infinitely thin flat sheet of paper. It has no depth, just length and width.

However, in modern math and physics the following objects are all classified as two dimensional: an infinite cylinder, the shell of a sphere, the shell of a torus, and the mobius strip. Thats because if you zoomed in on each object, the surface would look like R^2, or the flat plane. If something lived on these spaces they would only know of 2 dimensions, since the tangent space to each of these objects is 2 dimensional.

FYI, a referred to the shell of a sphere and torus to emphasize that they are hollow. Normally a shell of a 3 dimensional ball is referred to as a 2d dimensional sphere and the shell of a doughnut is just called a torus.

So the surface of a black hole is a 2d sphere according to these definitions. How is it possible to encode information on a smaller dimensional object? Well that's because gravity is weird :).

LBloom said:
However, in modern math and physics the following objects are all classified as two dimensional: an infinite cylinder, the shell of a sphere, the shell of a torus, and the mobius strip. Thats because if you zoomed in on each object, the surface would look like R^2, or the flat plane. If something lived on these spaces they would only know of 2 dimensions, since the tangent space to each of these objects is 2 dimensional.

QUOTE]

thanks but

how is it possible to zoom in since zooming in requires another dimension?

Whilst the zooming continues the extra (3rd and 4th or more) dimension is always implicit.

The completion of the zooming never actually occurs and neither is it possible to put yourself in the place of an inhabitant except in an idealised sense.

I mean aren't all these surfaces just mathematical abstractions (I appreciate that Idealism is an accepted philosophical discipline but I thought Materialism was more de rigeur these days)

LBloom said:
When it comes to dimensions, you have to think a little differently. When you hear of a two dimensional object you're probably thinking of a infinitely thin flat sheet of paper. It has no depth, just length and width.

QUOTE]
More nitpicking: an infinitely thin flat piece of paper is also an idealism.In my mind it is 3- dimensional no matter how thin it is.

At no point does it become 2 dimensional except as a mathematical abstraction.

1. What is the difference between a point and a line?

A point is a single location in space with no size or dimensions. It is typically represented by a dot. A line is a collection of points that extends infinitely in opposite directions. It has length but no width or depth and is represented by a straight line segment.

2. How are 2D objects different from 3D objects?

In 2D, objects have length and width but no depth, while in 3D, objects have length, width, and depth. This means that 2D objects can only be viewed from one perspective, while 3D objects can be viewed from multiple angles.

3. What is the formula for finding the area of a 2D object?

The formula for finding the area of a 2D object depends on the shape of the object. For example, the area of a square is calculated by multiplying its length by its width, while the area of a circle is found using the formula A=πr^2, where r is the radius of the circle.

4. Can 2D objects exist in the real world?

Yes, 2D objects can exist in the real world, but they are limited to flat surfaces, such as paper, screens, or walls. However, objects that we perceive as 2D, such as a drawing, are actually 3D objects projected onto a 2D surface.

5. How are vectors used in 2D objects?

Vectors are used to represent the direction and magnitude of movement or force in 2D objects. They are typically represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the movement or force, with the length of the arrow indicating the magnitude.