Why this expression is time-reversal odd?

• Thread starter Chenkb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary: So in this case, γ1γ3 would be the matrix that transforms P0k_2 into P0(-k_2).His derivation of the results in this table could use a little cleanup work too.
Chenkb
P and k are four-momentum of two particles.
I read in a paper which said that
[itex][\slashed{P},\slashed{k}]=\slashed{P}\slashed{k} - \slashed{k}\slashed{P}[/itex]
is time-reversal odd.
Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
could you please fix the Latex?
What is P and k? momenta?

... and please make a full citation of the paper.

Zz.

Unfortunately, MathJax does not support the "slashed" command from the amsmath package, which is used to implement Feynman's slash notation. Try

$$\left[\gamma \cdot P , \gamma \cdot k \right] = \gamma \cdot P \ \gamma \cdot k − \gamma \cdot k \ \gamma \cdot P, $$

where ## \gamma \cdot P = \gamma^\mu P_\mu##.

[edit]Or just use (the possible more useful in this case) ##\gamma^\mu P_\mu## and ##\gamma^\nu k_\nu##.[/edit]

Last edited:
Try [t e x]/ \!\!\!\! P[/ t e x]: [itex]/ \!\!\!\! P[/itex]
and [t e x]/ \!\!\! k[/ t e x]: [itex]/ \!\!\! k[/itex]

George Jones said:
Unfortunately, MathJax does not support the "slashed" command from the amsmath package, which is used to implement Feynman's slash notation. Try

$$\left[\gamma \cdot P , \gamma \cdot k \right] = \gamma \cdot P \ \gamma \cdot k − \gamma \cdot k \ \gamma \cdot P, $$

where ## \gamma \cdot P = \gamma^\mu P_\mu##.

[edit]Or just use (the possible more useful in this case) ##\gamma^\mu P_\mu## and ##\gamma^\nu k_\nu##.[/edit]

Thanks a lot for the texing.

*wrong answer*
Well, the reason why there is T-oddness I guess is because there is a [itex]i[/itex] in front, making that term complex..

Last edited:
ChrisVer said:
Doesn't that say that [itex]A_{4}[/itex] is T-odd? no the [P,k]

But ##\Phi(P,k,S|n)## on the left of the Eq. must be T-even according to it's physical meaning, so, if ##A_4## is T-odd, ##[\gamma \cdot P, \gamma \cdot k]## must be T-odd.
Actually, I think it is ##[P, k]## be T-odd that infers ##A_4## be T-odd, not the opposite, because ##A_4## is an unknown coefficient function.
So I wonder why.
Thanks a lot!

lol, I changed my initial post because it was wrong, I guess that:
"Well, the reason why there is T-oddness I guess is because there is a [itex]i[/itex] in front, making that term complex.."
is your answer...

ChrisVer said:
lol, I changed my initial post because it was wrong, I guess that:
"Well, the reason why there is T-oddness I guess is because there is a [itex]i[/itex] in front, making that term complex.."
is your answer...

Well, I think the ##i## in front is just for convenience. And the gamma matrices are not all real, for example, in Dirac representation, ##\gamma^2## is complex.
So, I think the problem is how does ##\left[\gamma \cdot P , \gamma \cdot k \right]##change under time reversal operation.

I know that, under time reversal, ##P=(P_0,\vec{P})##becomes ##(P_0,-\vec{P})##, and in QFT course I've learned that ##\gamma^{\mu}##becomes ##(-1)^{\mu}\gamma^{\mu}##(Peskin's book, Page71). But what about ##\left[\gamma \cdot P , \gamma \cdot k \right]##?

Chenkb said:
Well, I think the ##i## in front is just for convenience.
No, it's not there just for convenience. It's there because i[γ·P, γ·K] = 2 σμν Pμ Kν. And if you look at the table on p.71 of Peskin, you'll see how σμν transforms.

Bill_K said:
No, it's not there just for convenience. It's there because i[γ·P, γ·K] = 2 σμν Pμ Kν. And if you look at the table on p.71 of Peskin, you'll see how σμν transforms.

Year, but for the terms in ##\sigma_{\mu\nu}P^{\mu}k^{\nu}## like ##\sigma_{02}P_0k_2##, is T-even, because ##\sigma_{02}## odd, ##P_0## even, and ##k_2## odd.
Regards!

Chenkb said:
Year, but for the terms in ##\sigma_{\mu\nu}P^{\mu}k^{\nu}## like ##\sigma_{02}P_0k_2##, is T-even, because ##\sigma_{02}## odd, ##P_0## even, and ##k_2## odd.
Regards!
No, σ02 is even. In the sum, σ0i is even, σjk is odd, P0 and K0 are even, while Pj and Kj are odd. All the terms in the sum σμνPμKν wind up transforming the same way, namely they are all odd.

Bill_K said:
No, σ02 is even. In the sum, σ0i is even, σjk is odd, P0 and K0 are even, while Pj and Kj are odd. All the terms in the sum σμνPμKν wind up transforming the same way, namely they are all odd.

Could you please explain why ##\sigma_{0i}## is T-even? isn't it ##-(-1)^{\mu}(-1)^{\nu}##?

Chenkb said:
Could you please explain why ##\sigma_{0i}## is T-even? isn't it ##-(-1)^{\mu}(-1)^{\nu}##?
Peskin uses a very strange notation here! :eek: He says "(-1)μ" is supposed to mean 1 for μ=0 and -1 for μ=1, 2, 3. In the table, for T we're given - (-1)0(-1)i, which is interpreted to mean (-1)(1)(-1) which is +1.

His derivation of the results in this table could use a little cleanup work too. In addition to complex conjugation ψ → ψ*, the time reversal operation includes a matrix acting on ψ. He says this matrix is γ1γ3, but the value actually depends on your choice of representation for the gamma matrices. He uses the Weyl representation Eq.(3.25), in which γ2 is imaginary and all the others real. In general, time reversal can be written ψ → Dψ* where D is a matrix having the property D-1γμD = γ'μ where γ'0 = - γ0 and γ'j = γj.

Bill_K said:
Peskin uses a very strange notation here! :eek: He says "(-1)μ" is supposed to mean 1 for μ=0 and -1 for μ=1, 2, 3. In the table, for T we're given - (-1)0(-1)i, which is interpreted to mean (-1)(1)(-1) which is +1.

His derivation of the results in this table could use a little cleanup work too. In addition to complex conjugation ψ → ψ*, the time reversal operation includes a matrix acting on ψ. He says this matrix is γ1γ3, but the value actually depends on your choice of representation for the gamma matrices. He uses the Weyl representation Eq.(3.25), in which γ2 is imaginary and all the others real. In general, time reversal can be written ψ → Dψ* where D is a matrix having the property D-1γμD = γ'μ where γ'0 = - γ0 and γ'j = γj.

WOW!:thumbs: Many thanks, I will check it.

Your looking for a transformation of the equation... yes? or, an explanation?

M. Bachmeier said:
Which do you think has not already been given?

M. Bachmeier said:

The transformation, why it's T-odd. And I think it is solved already.

1. Why is this expression considered time-reversal odd?

This expression is considered time-reversal odd because it changes sign when time is reversed. In other words, if we substitute t with -t, the expression will have a negative sign.

2. How is time-reversal oddity related to symmetry?

Time-reversal oddity is related to symmetry because it is a property of a system that is not symmetric under time reversal. In other words, the system behaves differently when time is reversed, indicating a lack of symmetry in time.

3. Can you give an example of a time-reversal odd expression?

One example of a time-reversal odd expression is the magnetic field of a moving charged particle. When time is reversed, the direction of the magnetic field changes, making it time-reversal odd.

4. How is time-reversal oddity different from time-reversal invariance?

Time-reversal oddity and time-reversal invariance are two different concepts. Time-reversal oddity refers to the property of an expression or system changing sign when time is reversed, while time-reversal invariance refers to the property of a system remaining unchanged under time reversal.

5. What are the applications of studying time-reversal odd expressions?

Studying time-reversal odd expressions can have various applications in different fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It helps in understanding the symmetry properties of a system and can also be used in developing new technologies, such as time-reversal imaging and quantum computing.