Is a Centrino or P4 Mobile Better for Longhorn and .NET Programming?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mobile
In summary, there is a PC Fair this month with many offers for desktop and notebook computers. At the fair, it was noted that the centrino notebook is 30% more expensive than a P4 mobile, but has slower processing speed. The question was asked if a normal P4 would be sufficient for future longhorn and .NET programming, and if any special gadgets are needed for wireless online. It was explained that the centrino is designed specifically for mobile use, with a higher work efficiency and lower power consumption compared to the P4. Therefore, while a P4 may be enough power, it is important to research and consider all options before making a decision. For example, a 1.4ghz p-m has
Saint
We have PC Fair this month, many offers of desktop and notebook.
For notebook, centrino one is 30% more expensive than P4 mobile, but the speed of centrino is slower.
I need a notebook for future longhorn and .NET programming, is a normal P4 is enough to support my need? Do i need special gadget for wireless online ?

[?]

Computer science news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Saint
We have PC Fair this month, many offers of desktop and notebook.
For notebook, centrino one is 30% more expensive than P4 mobile, but the speed of centrino is slower.
I need a notebook for future longhorn and .NET programming, is a normal P4 is enough to support my need? Do i need special gadget for wireless online ?

[?]

Wow, that post is seriously a contradiction... You know there's a difference between Longhorn and .NET, but not of the discrepancies between P4 and centrino.

Centrino is based on a Pentium-M integrated processor. This was designed from the ground-up to be completely mobile, as opposed to the P4-M, which is just a low-power version of the P4. The differences are thusly:
Centrino does more work per tick (the ol' 2ghz Athlon XP 3000 Barton vs P4 3ghz syndrome) than the p4-m
Centrino has a much lower power consumption (loosely because of the need for less ticks, which enables it to have fewer transistors, which means less power...)

So most definitely P4 would be enough power, but don't knock the centrino (or anything else for that matter) until you read up on it.

Kind of a lateral example: (prices are probably far off, but you get the idea)
A 2.2ghz celeron laptop may cost $1000, while a P4 1.8ghz may cost $1500, but I'd much rather work on a 1.8ghz P4.

EDIT:
And just for reference, a 1.4ghz p-m benches at about the same point as a 2.4ghz p4-m.

It ultimately depends on your specific needs and budget. If you are primarily using your notebook for future longhorn and .NET programming, a P4 may be sufficient. However, if you value faster processing speed and longer battery life, then the centrino may be worth the extra cost. As for wireless online capabilities, both the P4 and centrino have built-in wireless capabilities, so you should not need any additional gadgets. It's always a good idea to research and compare the specifications and prices of different options before making a decision.

What is Centrino?

Centrino is a brand name used by Intel for a series of wireless networking and mobile computing technologies. It was first introduced in 2003 and includes a combination of Intel processors, chipsets, and wireless cards.

What is P4 mobile?

P4 mobile, also known as Pentium 4 mobile, is a type of processor used in laptops and other mobile devices. It was first introduced by Intel in 2001 and is designed for high-performance computing.

What are the benefits of Centrino and P4 mobile?

The main benefits of Centrino and P4 mobile are increased performance, improved battery life, and wireless connectivity. These technologies allow for faster and more efficient processing, longer lasting battery life, and seamless wireless internet access.

Can Centrino and P4 mobile be used in any laptop?

No, Centrino and P4 mobile are designed specifically for laptops and other mobile devices. They are not compatible with desktop computers.

Is Centrino and P4 mobile still relevant today?

While newer technologies have been introduced since the release of Centrino and P4 mobile, they are still relevant and widely used in laptops and other mobile devices. Many laptops still use Centrino and P4 mobile processors due to their efficient performance and reliable wireless connectivity.