Fonts appearing as boxes on windows 98

• Thread starter grady
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with fonts appearing as boxes after copying them from Windows XP to Windows 98. The user has checked the fonts using character map and they appear fine, and is seeking advice on how to fix the issue. One suggestion is to try formatting, as it often fixes Windows problems. Another suggestion is to restore the backed up copy of the 98 fonts folder. However, it is mentioned that there may be an easy fix for this issue, but the user does not have enough knowledge about fonts to know what it could be.
grady
I got problems with fonts showing up as boxes. I recently copied all of my fonts from windows xp into the fonts directory in windows 98. Thats all I can think of that would be the problem. But going through and looking at the fonts with character map, none of them are screwed up. Does anyone know about fixing this?

http://members.cox.net/gradyfield/problem1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/gradyfield/problem2.jpg
http://members.cox.net/gradyfield/problem3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Does anyone know about fixing this?
To quote dduardo “Try formatting. It always seems to fix window's problems.”
You’ve got to admit, he’s not lying.

If you thought to make a backup copy of the 98 fonts folder you could try restoring it, then checking to see if the problem was cured.

There may be an easy cure for this but I haven’t played with my fonts enough to know what it could be.

Good luck

It sounds like the issue you are experiencing is a common one when copying fonts from a newer operating system to an older one. Windows 98 may not be able to recognize and properly display some of the newer font formats that were introduced with Windows XP.

To fix this problem, you can try converting the fonts to a compatible format using a font conversion tool or by re-downloading the fonts in a format that is compatible with Windows 98. Additionally, make sure that you are only copying and using fonts that are compatible with Windows 98.

Another solution could be to try using a different font viewer or manager, as the one you are currently using may not be compatible with Windows 98.

I hope this helps resolve your issue with the fonts appearing as boxes on Windows 98. Good luck!

1. Why are my fonts appearing as boxes on Windows 98?

This is likely due to the fact that Windows 98 does not support certain fonts or characters. It may also be because the font files are corrupted, or the font is not installed properly on your computer.

2. How can I fix the issue of fonts appearing as boxes on Windows 98?

You can try installing the font again and making sure it is installed correctly. You can also try using a different font that is supported by Windows 98. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to upgrade to a newer operating system that supports more fonts and characters.

3. Can I download additional fonts for Windows 98?

Yes, you can download and install additional fonts for Windows 98. However, it is important to make sure that the font is compatible with the operating system before installing it. Some fonts may not work properly on older systems like Windows 98.

4. Why do some websites or documents display fonts as boxes on Windows 98?

This is because the website or document is using a font that is not supported by Windows 98. The operating system will not be able to recognize the font and therefore display it as a box or a default font.

5. Is there a way to make all fonts appear correctly on Windows 98?

Unfortunately, there is no guaranteed way to make all fonts appear correctly on Windows 98. This is because the operating system has limited font support and some fonts may not be compatible. It is best to use fonts that are known to work well with Windows 98 to avoid any issues.