Uninstalling Internet Explorer from XP

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary, there is no way to completely remove Internet Explorer from Windows XP for good. Removal may cause other problems, and Lavasoft's Adware is a good option.
bomba923
Is there a way to completely remove Internet Explorer from Windows XP for good?

Computer science news on Phys.org
There are many people who claim that it can be removed without any dire consequences...but all of their sites have disclaimers that state that they are not responsible for any damage caused. Basically, I don't think it is a good idea to even try to remove it. It really isn't that bad.

Well, is there at least a way to remove the system process IExplorer.exe ?

No matter how times I click "End Process"...it keeps coming back!

(btw, is the "Ieradicate" program any good?)

Last edited:
bomba923 said:
Well, is there at least a way to remove the system process IExplorer.exe ?

No matter how times I click "End Process"...it keeps coming back!

(btw, is the "Ieradicate" program any good?)

May I ask why you want to remove internet explorer anyways? If you don't like it you don't have to use it, but based on the potential risks involved, is it worth removing?

I don't know how to remove it completely, but see if this helps:

Go to 'Control Panel' > 'Add or Remove Programs'. On the left, there should be a button that says 'Add/Remove Windows Components'. Open it, and you should see a list of Windows components with checkboxes beside them. Uncheck 'Internet Explorer', but leave everything else as it is. Click 'Next' and then follow whatever instructions it gives you (you'll probably just have to press 'Finish' or something like that, I can't remember).

Omega_6 said:
May I ask why you want to remove internet explorer anyways? If you don't like it you don't have to use it, but based on the potential risks involved, is it worth removing?
Well, actually it's on a friend's computer and (it seems) a lot of the adware he has requires IE to run...

bomba923 said:
Well, actually it's on a friend's computer and (it seems) a lot of the adware he has requires IE to run...

Ah, at least you have a reason for doing it. Some people absolutely despise Microsoft and IE and feel like if they remove IE from their computer that somehow they are hurting microsoft.

If you are going to do this, be sure that you "do your homework," but I'm sure that there is a way to safely do it. Some of the programs I have seen claim to remove IE but keep the essential files that windows requires.

A good spyware/virus scan might fix your problem.

bomba923 said:
You wouldn't shoot yourself if you had a cold, would you?

Lavasoft's Adware is free and works great. I can't recommend it highly enough.

1. How do I uninstall Internet Explorer from XP?

To uninstall Internet Explorer from XP, go to the Control Panel and open the "Add or Remove Programs" option. From there, find Internet Explorer in the list of installed programs and select "Uninstall". Follow the prompts to complete the uninstallation process.

2. Will uninstalling Internet Explorer from XP affect other programs or my computer?

Uninstalling Internet Explorer from XP should not affect other programs or your computer, as long as you have an alternative web browser installed. However, it is always recommended to create a system restore point before making any major changes to your computer.

3. Can I reinstall Internet Explorer on XP after uninstalling it?

Yes, you can reinstall Internet Explorer on XP after uninstalling it. You can either download the installation file from the Microsoft website or use the "Add or Remove Programs" option in the Control Panel to reinstall it.

4. Why would I want to uninstall Internet Explorer from XP?

Some people may want to uninstall Internet Explorer from XP for various reasons, such as using a different web browser, reducing clutter on their computer, or to troubleshoot issues with Internet Explorer.

5. Is it possible to completely remove Internet Explorer from XP?

No, it is not possible to completely remove Internet Explorer from XP. Since Internet Explorer is integrated into the operating system, some components will always remain on your computer even after uninstallation. However, you can disable Internet Explorer so that it is no longer visible or accessible.