What is the relationship between work and potential energy?

In summary: However, the difference lies in the direction of the work done. When the hand is picking up the object, the work done by the hand is positive because it is in the same direction as the displacement (upward). When the rocket booster is lifting the satellite, the work done by the rocket is negative because it is in the opposite direction of the displacement (downward). Therefore, the formula for work must take into account the direction of the force and displacement, resulting in the different equations shown in the book. In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in notation for work in two different problems involving potential gravitational energy. The first problem uses the notation W = -ΔU, while the second problem uses W = ΔU. The difference
soljaragz
Hi, I haven't taken physics yet, but I am reading a Sparknotes Physics book for fun, and there's something that i don't understand

In one part of the book, when it was talking about basic energy stuff it said that - ΔU = W

http://www.sparknotes.com/physics/workenergypower/conservationofenergy/terms.html

but then a few chapters later it shows a problem with potential gravitational energy, and

it said "W= U2 - U1" ... what happened to the negative sign?

(no source, since the website on this chapter is not current)

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably the later reference has some outside agent (a person?)
doing Work against the gravitational Force.
If the motion is always slow, then the person's Force is opposite gravity's
(that is, F by person = NEGATIVE F by gravity).

So that Energy is *transferred* as the Force application point is moved.

Last edited:
Hmm...im not sure

but here is the actual problem

A satellite of mass m is launched from the surface of the Earth into an orbit of radius 2r, where r is the radius of the Earth. How much work is done to get it into orbit?

W = U2-U1 = -G(m1m2)/2r - -Gm1m2/r

in the book it said potential grav. energy is -G(m1m2)/r where r is displacement and m1 is object mass, m2 is Earth mass

It takes an "outside agent" (a rocket booster!) that does Work
to get the satellite into orbit ...
gravity's Force removes Energy from the satellite as the satellite rises.

By the way, Grav.P.E. is negative, which reminds us that we are trapped
down here ... we need to add Energy to something just to get it far away,
and additional Energy to make it go fast there.

hmmm..ok i sort of get it

I guess I should have said (in post #2) that

The Work done by gravity's Force = - Delta U = - Ufinal - Uinitial .

To lift something, your Force apllied to that thing
is (approx) the negative of gravity's Force applied to it.

you mean -DeltaU = -(Ufinal - U).

but what is the difference between a hand picking up an object against gravity, and a rocketbooster boosting a rocket against gravity?
shouldn't they be using the same formula?
but what I am seeing is the first problem uses W=-DeltaU and the latter uses W=DeltaU...

ugh, I can't wait to take physics next year

In both cases the work done by the outside force--hand or rocket--will equal the change in total mechanical energy (PE + KE).

1. What is work?

Work is defined as the transfer of energy to an object by applying a force over a distance. It is typically measured in joules (J) and can be calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance traveled in the direction of the force.

2. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is stored energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy, when the object is in motion.

3. How is potential energy related to work?

When an object is moved against a force, work is done and the object gains potential energy. This potential energy can be converted back into work when the object is released and moves in the direction of the force.

4. What is the difference between gravitational potential energy and elastic potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position above the ground, while elastic potential energy is the energy stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed. Both types of potential energy are related to the position or configuration of an object.

5. How is the conservation of energy related to work and potential energy?

The conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. In the case of work and potential energy, work done on an object will either increase its potential energy or be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.