Yoyo Calculation: Derive Rotational Kinetic Energy

• Thread starter drPaZQaL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of creating a practical about a yoyo. They made a video to observe its motion and used a program to measure its falling speed, but they were unable to measure the rotation speed and need to derive a comparison themselves. The conversation also touches on the topic of calculating the moment of inertia for the yoyo using calculus, with a suggestion to model the yoyo as two disks to simplify the calculation. Eventually, they consider the possibility of measuring the moment of inertia directly, but it is noted that this may be difficult and it would be best to consult with the instructor for guidance.
drPaZQaL
I need to do a practical about a yoyo.

We made a video (somebody keeps te jojo from teh ground a certain height and let it fall, after a certain time it doesn't move anymore and stays at the bottom) in which you can see the motion and with a programma we can see the falling speed etc. But we can't measure the rotation speed, we need to derive it:

I found out that the energy comparison=

m*g*h = 1/2*m*v^2 + Rotational kinetic energy

normally rotational kinetic energy = 1/2 * I * w^2

But our teachers says that this is the comparison for a cylinder, I need to derive a comparison myself, it should be possible with a integral calculus.

Can somebody help me?

Thanks,
dr. PaZQaL

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by drPaZQaL
m*g*h = 1/2*m*v^2 + Rotational kinetic energy

normally rotational kinetic energy = 1/2 * I * w^2

But our teachers says that this is the comparison for a cylinder, I need to derive a comparison myself, it should be possible with a integral calculus.
I'm not sure what you are asking. I don't see anything in your two equations relating to a cylinder. Your first equation is just energy conservation; the second is the general definition of rotational KE.

Also, I see no big problem in modeling the yo-yo as two disks (essentially a cylinder) in order to calculate its moment of inertia.

ok, my explanation was not very clear...

The problem is what is "I"? (normally: 0,5 * m * r^2)

This can be calculated with a certain integral calculus, like:

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/MomentofInertiaCylinder.html

Because the jojo is not a cylinder i need some formula to calculate I..., this should be possible with a calculation that looks like a calculation of the centre of gravity.. (like link)

Last edited:
Originally posted by drPaZQaL
Because the jojo is not a cylinder i need some formula to calculate I..., this should be possible with a calculation that looks like a calculation of the centre of gravity.. (like link)
Model the yoyo as two disks. Of course a disk is just a cylinder, so the formula to calculate the moment of inertia is the same: [itex]I=\frac{1}{2}MR^2[/itex].

I'm not sure how you could get a more accurate value for this than the two-cylinders model without measuring it directly. The problem is that all yoyo's are different and many of them are not the type of thing which will follow 'nice' equations like that of a cylinder. Unless the yoyo is shaped like a cylinder, I would recommend measuring the moment of inertia directly.

Unless the yoyo is shaped like a cylinder, I would recommend measuring the moment of inertia directly.

How do I measure it?

To be honest, it might not be all that easy. I would recommend building some type of apparatus to allow the yoyo to roll freely in place (without moving anything else), then attach a weight to the string and measure the angular acceleration as the weight falls. Depending on how much precision you're going for, it may be better to just make an estimate based on what you do know about the yoyo, but if you want me to go into more detail of what I'm thinking, I can.

Before you get all crazy trying to measure the rotational inertia of the yoyo, I would suggest you speak with your instructor. Your first email said you were to derive the angular speed, not measure it. Also that you should be able to calculate the rotational inertia using calculus. Ask your instructor what model you should use for the yoyo. (I still think that modeling it as two uniform disks would be close enough. :smile: )

If you model the yoyo as two uniform disks, you wouldn't need calculus if you could use the I=1/2 MR^2 formula. If, however, you assume the yoyo to have, say, twice the density on the outer part as the inner, it would be useful. My yoyo, for example, has, I'm guessing, half of its mass on an outer ring which would certainly change the moment of inertia. Then again, if you're only going for an order of magnitude, here, you'd be fine treating it as two cylinders.

but if you want me to go into more detail of what I'm thinking, I can.

Could you tell me more about your idea of measuring it..., sounds usefull

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation around an axis. It is defined as the energy required to accelerate an object from rest to a certain rotational speed.

2. How is rotational kinetic energy different from linear kinetic energy?

Linear kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its linear motion, while rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation around an axis. They are calculated using different equations and have different units of measurement.

3. How is rotational kinetic energy calculated for a yoyo?

The rotational kinetic energy of a yoyo can be calculated using the equation: K = 1/2 * I * ω², where K is the rotational kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity (in radians per second).

4. What factors affect the rotational kinetic energy of a yoyo?

The rotational kinetic energy of a yoyo is affected by its moment of inertia, angular velocity, and mass. The moment of inertia depends on the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation, while the angular velocity depends on the speed at which the yoyo is spinning.

5. How is rotational kinetic energy used in yoyo tricks?

Rotational kinetic energy is used in yoyo tricks to perform rotations and maintain the yoyo's momentum. Tricks that involve changing the direction of the yoyo's rotation or transferring energy from the yoyo's rotation to its linear motion utilize rotational kinetic energy.