What is the Impact of Awarding a African-American Student of the Year Prize?

• News
  • Thread starter Shahil
  • Start date
In summary, the kid was probably just being a jackass and the PC term african american was not wrong in most senses, but was incorrectly identified in the case of awarding him.
Shahil
Check out this link

http://www.sundaytimes.co.za/2004/02/01/news/news04.asp

Firstly, I believe that, ideologically, I'm not rascist and recognise the humour in this affair.

My view is that the South African guy was just proclaiming that he was the African-American Student of the Year. Having prizes being awarded in such cases really breeds racism rather than encourages intergration.

Also, it's really disgusting to see that he's been labelled "neo-nazi." It just shows that to these people, racism and prejudice still exist and being PC is just a figment of the imagination.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It just shows that to these people, racism and prejudice still exist
Do you mean that you believe that racism and prejudice do not exist? Because if then, well, er... I'm afraid you are rather mistaken.

Obviously, he is Afrikaan-American.

Njorl

The kid is likely a racist, or maybe just a jackass. He is NOT some smart kid making a point about race relations. That was the lie that the racists made up after the fact.

I don't know, but it must be similar to me being an Italian-American.

lol i know people that go to that school and i have been there many times myself! Ill ask around to get the inside scoop.

Originally posted by Zero
The kid is likely a racist, or maybe just a jackass. He is NOT some smart kid making a point about race relations. That was the lie that the racists made up after the fact.

What compels you to make that assumption?
I think the kid was perfectly right.
Not only was it clever and well-aimed satire, but there is no reason that he actually shouldn't be considered for this award based solely on his color.
Wasn't that the real root of King's desire?
Shouldn't it be ours?

I think that anyone who takes offense to this is much more of a racist than this kid seems to be (based solely on the facts of this case).

Yes, but generally speaking, african-american awards are given because the general african-american student has to overcome adversity to succeed (ex. low income, single parent, racism) If he is from south africa, white, and probably well off, then what adversity has he overcome?

Originally posted by Shahil
being PC is just a figment of the imagination.

I don't think that being PC is a figment of the imagination.
I do think, however, that the justifications and validations of it are farcical at best.

This kid should be applauded for what he did.

If it IS an award for "African Americans", then he should qualify.
In fact, he is more qualified than the black students at the school.
a.) He was born in Africa, therefore is more of an "African American" than any of the students born in America.
b.) Being black-skinned does not necessarily imply that your ancestors came from Africa (anymore than mine did tens of thousands of years ago), and unless you can show proof of your lineage (which this kid CAN), then you really don't know if you are "African American".

If it is an award for black students only:
a.) They should be honest and rename it.
b.) It is racist in origin and encourages segregation and should be abandoned anyway.

Originally posted by Mattius_
Yes, but generally speaking, african-american awards are given because the general african-american student has to overcome adversity to succeed (ex. low income, single parent, racism) If he is from south africa, white, and probably well off, then what adversity has he overcome?

"African American" or "Black"?
PC ceases to be a positive helpful device when it is not honest.

Good point raven, but I would say that this goes back to the old 'a square is always a rectangle but a rectangle is not always a square.' meaning that the label given to blacks in the US as 'african-americans' is always true(as far as we are concerned) but african-americans are not always black.

The PC term african american is not wrong in most senses, but has been incorrectly identified in the case of awarding adversly affected blacks.

I would say that this goes back to the old 'a square is always a rectangle but a rectangle is not always a square.' meaning that the label given to blacks in the US as 'african-americans' is always true(as far as we are concerned) but african-americans are not always black.
But, like I said above, being black-skinned does not necessarily imply that your ancestors came from Africa (anymore than mine did tens of thousands of years ago).
Not all dark-skinned people's ancestors came from Africa (except, of course, if you go back to the dawn of humanity, but then we are ALL Africans).
The PC term african american is not wrong in most senses, but has been incorrectly identified in the case of awarding adversly affected blacks.
Adversely affected blacks?
I wonder...
Do you mean to apply that to all balcks due to racism and history?
Or do you mean to apply that to people that have been personally directly affected in their lifetime? As in, the award should be offered to students that have displayed the ability and strength it takes to overcome what obstacles have been placed directly in their path due to racially inspired reasons.

Maybe we should just call these people 'former slaves' it seems to me that this is the only term that will fit.

Maybe we should just call these people 'former slaves' it seems to me that this is the only term that will fit.

Sure.
If any of them had actually been slaves.

Originally posted by one_raven
What compels you to make that assumption?
I think the kid was perfectly right.
Not only was it clever and well-aimed satire, but there is no reason that he actually shouldn't be considered for this award based solely on his color.
Wasn't that the real root of King's desire?
Shouldn't it be ours?

I think that anyone who takes offense to this is much more of a racist than this kid seems to be (based solely on the facts of this case).
I'm betting he didn't mean it as anything but a way to be rude, while having a handy excuse.

*edited to add* On the other hand, the reaction was a bit overblown, too. He's a smarta$$, not a Nazi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by FZ+
Do you mean that you believe that racism and prejudice do not exist? Because if then, well, er... I'm afraid you are rather mistaken.

I still believe that they exist - especially after the article. I do get where you are coming from - don't worry. Probably just a micks up with tha engaleesh!

I hope that this doesn't offend anyone but I think a big probelm is the actual label of "African-American." It has been effectively parodied by this kid from SA and I think for good reason. The problem is actually coming up with a term that correctly identifies the racial group known as "African-Americans."

Realistically, I believe that all racial terms should be done away with but in reality, they won't go away as there exists a catch-22 becoz by doing away with 'em, your culture is going to suffer but by still having them, segregation will always exist.

Hmm, the black people I know don't seem to have a problem with "black". It doesn't come up much though. I don't generally say things like, "Good morning Ed who is black." or "Hi Black man Phil." I suppose we could call echother caucasoid, negroid and mongoloid, but the mongoloids would probably object.

Maybe if we call each other the most vile racist slurs imaginable for a generation, we will be desensitized to it, and it won't matter. Then we can get along just fine ... the survivors could anyway.

Njorl

Quit being facetious. Everybody knows that "african-american" means black.

The fact that somebody would see an award for african american student was ripe for satire says a lot about that person.

HOWEVER that is NOT the point. The fact that he is ACTUALLY african-american should mean that he is entitled to the award. Probably more so then the blacks who have emigrated. Its like saying that you can only be american if you are a Native American Indian or whatever. You class yourselves as Americans but according to your views you should not be.

If it were solely supposed to be a 'black' award then the should call it a Black Award. But then they wouldn't be able to include half-castes. I think it is just a racist prejudice because they can get away with it. If they had an award for white people then it would be classed as Racist. People should sort their ideals out, they can't have the best of both worlds.

Isn't afro-american a better word?

I do think the term is over-sensitive though. I used to work with an 'African-American' lady, and she would get very irritated any time someone would refer to a person to be black (as in: "-who is john? -the black person"). According to her we should be saying African-American How do I know based on skin color what the origin of a person is? Why would that even matter??

Yeah, the kid is a jackass, but this is just the usual 'only white people can be racists' double standard again. How the irony of attaching a label to yourself while complaining that others are labeling you is lost on so many people is beyond me.

Originally posted by Monique
Isn't afro-american a better word?

No, that's a hairstyle!

No, that's a hairstyle!
No, it is not. Here in the Netherlands we never say Afrikaan-Amerikaan (sounds rather silly), if we ever use the word we say Afro-Amerikaan.

I don't know the boy or the situation in which it occured, but I think it is a reasonable stunt and the fact that he was suspended really is unreasonable in my view. Whatever happened to freedom of speech? If he wants to nominate himself, fine, that is his very right. Then the organizers can kindly send him a letter and explain some history.

Barley.com:
SYLLABICATION: Af·ro-A·mer·i·can
PRONUNCIATION: fr--mr-kn
NOUN: A Black American of African ancestry; an African American.
OTHER FORMS: Afro-A·meri·can —ADJECTIVE
Seems I am right that afro-american attains to a certain culture, whereas African American to a certain origin.

Whatever the label used, I simply disagree with the concept that the group even exists. The reason it exists is for special priveledges: holidays, awards, extra legal protection, handouts, hiring quotas, etc. People choose to categorized themselves in order to receive the benefits of that categorization.

By the same token, there is no coherent "European-American" special interest group that I would identify with. But it does exist for the purpose of being legally discriminated against.

True, I have never heard of the label suriname-dutch, or turkish-dutch, or marrocan-dutch.

The africans were not the only ones victim of slave trade, slave trade was abolished in the Netherlands at the same time as in the US. There is no need to keep pointing back in time. How about Jews for that matter, I've never heard about special programs for them.

I agree, not everyone has the same social status. But rather actually examine that social status, rather than skin tone. There must be plenty caucasian-americans that come from far worse backgrounds.

and a lot of people forget that it was the African tribe chieftans that sold the slaves...the other guys just bought em!

Originally posted by jimmy p
and a lot of people forget that it was the African tribe chieftans that sold the slaves...the other guys just bought em!
Why do you bring this up? This is a standard "I'm not a racist but I really am" sort of defense. [?]

I'm not defending anything as far as i am aware, i am in agreement with everyone else... Just stating that they segregate themselves with these awards and different catergories. But they forget that white people weren't the ones that caused this rift...

Why do you bring this up? This is a standard "I'm not a racist but I really am" sort of defense. [?]
It is racist to have an African American excell-award, and suspend a caucasian african american for putting himself in the running

Last edited:
I think this kid was just being stupid, he is right in what he is standing for but he could have done it a lot better. He could have gone to the school principal and nominated himself and then discussed the situation with the principal. If this failed then take it to the local press and then start a campaign. I say this assuming that he just went straight ahead with the campaign. The fact is he could/should have been much smarter than what he was and then he wouldn't have been branded a racist or a nazi.

1. What is the purpose of awarding an African-American Student of the Year prize?

The purpose of awarding an African-American Student of the Year prize is to recognize and celebrate the academic achievements, leadership skills, and contributions of African-American students in their schools or communities. It also aims to promote diversity and inclusion in educational institutions and society as a whole.

2. How does awarding an African-American Student of the Year prize impact the recipient?

Awarding an African-American Student of the Year prize can have a positive impact on the recipient in several ways. It can boost their self-esteem and confidence, motivate them to continue excelling academically, and provide opportunities for networking and future success. It can also serve as a source of inspiration for other students, especially those from underrepresented groups.

3. What is the significance of awarding an African-American Student of the Year prize in the larger context of diversity and inclusion?

Awarding an African-American Student of the Year prize is significant in promoting diversity and inclusion in educational institutions and society. It recognizes the value and contributions of African-American students and helps create a more inclusive and equitable environment. It also sends a message of support and acceptance to students from underrepresented groups, encouraging them to pursue their goals and dreams.

4. How is the recipient of the African-American Student of the Year prize selected?

The recipient of the African-American Student of the Year prize is typically selected through a nomination and evaluation process. This may involve considering academic performance, leadership skills, community involvement, and other criteria. The selection process may vary depending on the institution or organization awarding the prize.

5. What are some potential challenges or criticisms of awarding an African-American Student of the Year prize?

Some potential challenges or criticisms of awarding an African-American Student of the Year prize may include accusations of tokenism or reinforcing stereotypes. It may also be argued that singling out one student for recognition can create a sense of competition or division among students. Additionally, there may be concerns about the selection process and whether it is truly fair and unbiased.

Back