What is the mechanism behind electron displacement in Pd-Bi reactions?

• Thread starter nazgjunk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
In summary, the conversation discusses a chemistry assignment involving a reaction mechanism. The first step involves a glucose molecule and Pd+Bi attached to active coal as an adsorbent. The role of Bi as a chemical promoter in Pd or Pt catalysts is mentioned, which helps improve the catalyst's activity by altering the charge density at the surface. The conversation also mentions the possibility of a charge transfer mechanism related to electronegativity. The original source for the reaction mechanism is suggested and a relevant research paper is provided.
nazgjunk
Hey,

I'm working on a rather big chemistry assignment. Right now I'm looking at a reaction mechanism. The first step is illustrated in the attachment. The big thing with the loop represents a glucose molecule, and on the bottom there is some Pd+Bi attached to active coal as an adsorbent (if I'm using the wrong terms, sorry, I never got any other chem education than in Dutch).
Now, it says that an electron is displaced from the Pd to the Bi, but it seems to assume that I know why. It's not an actual part of the assignment, and I don't really need it, but I'd like to know why that electron is moved. I've been thinking about electronegativity (Pd 1.4, Bi 1.7), but that can't be all, I think.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• reactie stap a.png
    reactie stap a.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
Bi is commonly used as a chemical (or electronic) promoter in Pd or Pt catalysts. Typically, the function of the (chemical) promoter is to improve activity of the catalyst, and it usually does this by altering the charge density at the surface of the catalyst. It is entirely possible that there is some charge transfer mechanism related to the electronegativity, but I don't know much about catalysis to say anything specific about your reaction.

It might help if you cite the original source for the reaction mechanism you are studying.

Edit: Found something that might be useful - "The role of bismuth as promoter in Pd–Bi catalysts for the selective oxidation of glucose to gluconate", Wenkin et al, J. Molecular Catalysis A: Chemical, 180, 141-159 (2002)
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TGM-44J6K2H-7&_coverDate=03%2F11%2F2002&_alid=516109060&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_qd=1&_cdi=5258&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000058403&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=3366836&md5=324d95244cd47239ae046d8335c41c7d

Last edited:
Thank you 1000 times, accidentally that is exactly the reaction we were working with.

1. Why is the electron moving in the first place?

The movement of an electron is a fundamental characteristic of its nature as a subatomic particle. According to quantum mechanics, electrons have both wave-like and particle-like properties, and their movement is a result of their interactions with other particles and fields.

2. How does an electron's movement affect its surroundings?

Electron movement plays a crucial role in many physical processes, such as electricity, chemical reactions, and magnetism. The movement of electrons can also determine the properties and behavior of materials, such as conductivity and thermal conductivity.

3. What factors influence the speed and direction of an electron's movement?

The speed and direction of an electron's movement can be influenced by several factors, including the strength of the electric and magnetic fields it is exposed to, the presence of other particles, and the energy level of the electron itself.

4. Can an electron's movement be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, scientists have developed various methods to control and manipulate the movement of electrons, such as using electric and magnetic fields, lasers, and nanotechnology. This ability to manipulate electrons has led to numerous technological advancements, such as transistors and computer chips.

5. What happens to an electron's movement in extreme conditions, such as in a vacuum or at very high temperatures?

In a vacuum, an electron's movement is unaffected by external forces, and it will continue to move at a constant speed and direction until it interacts with another particle. At high temperatures, electrons can gain more energy and move faster, leading to increased electrical conductivity and other unique phenomena.