Review: G. Polya's 'How To Solve It' - Engineer's Perspective

• Thread starter Malenfant
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a book that is supposed to contain wisdom on problem-solving, but is written in a conversational style that some find boring. One person bought it hoping it would help with their Physics degree, but has not been able to get into it. The group agrees that a book on how to solve problems may be too vague and that problem-solving is something that is developed through years of study and collaboration.
Malenfant
What does everyone specifically engineers think of this book? I recently bought a used copy and after browsing it I really don't know if its useful or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've tried a number of times to get into it. Unfortunately, it just bores me senseless after only a few pages, and I haven't managed to get into the real wisdom it is supposed to contain. I honestly just don't like the "conversational" style of the book.

- Warren

^you are not the only one.

I bought it, hoping it would help me with my Physics degree, although its still on the summer reading "to do" pile, so from what I gather its not too great?

That book has appeared in a few premium bookstores - Try looking in Borders Books & Music shops.

Having never read it, I should not say this: but designing a textbook on how to solve problems seems to be too vague as a task or set of tasks for which to write a book. You learn to solve problems through at least a few years of study and subject matter design; including at times collaboration with other problem solvers and problem posers. I believe that fundamental mechanics physics forces some people to become problem solvers. We just learn to think more critically, but specifically what else is happening in our development may not be so clear...

1. What is "How To Solve It" by G. Polya?

"How To Solve It" is a book written by mathematician George Polya in 1945. It is a classic guide to problem-solving that has been used by students and professionals in various fields.

2. What is the main idea behind "How To Solve It"?

The main idea behind "How To Solve It" is to provide a systematic approach to problem-solving. Polya outlines a four-step method that can be applied to any problem, including understanding the problem, devising a plan, carrying out the plan, and looking back to check the result.

3. Is "How To Solve It" only for mathematicians?

No, "How To Solve It" is not just for mathematicians. Although Polya was a mathematician, his problem-solving approach can be applied to any field or discipline. The book has been used by scientists, engineers, and even business professionals.

4. How can "How To Solve It" help me in my daily life?

The problem-solving method outlined in "How To Solve It" can be applied to any type of problem, from everyday challenges to complex issues in your personal or professional life. It can help you think critically, break down problems into manageable steps, and come up with creative solutions.

5. Is "How To Solve It" still relevant today?

Yes, "How To Solve It" is still relevant today, even though it was first published in 1945. The problem-solving method outlined by Polya is timeless and can be applied to any type of problem. The book has stood the test of time and is still widely used in education and various fields.