A short one on symmetric matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the matrix L from a given equation involving a real symmetric matrix. The suggested solution is L = +- D1/2UT, which satisfies the equation. However, the question arises if this solution can be proven to be the only possible solution. The conversation ends with the clarification that L is not necessarily unique.
Päällikkö
Homework Helper
This isn't really homework, but close enough. I suppose this is quite simple, but my head's all tangled up for today. Anyways,
Given the real symmetric matrix
LTL = UDUT, find L.

I suppose L = +- D1/2UT, and it's clear this choice of L satisfies the given equation.

But can it be proven that the above L actually follows from the given equation? i.e.
LTL = UDUT = (D1/2UT)T(D1/2UT) <=> L = +- D1/2UT?
Am I making any sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
So you are asking if L is unique? No. Take L and U to be different unitary matrices and D=1. Then T(L).L=1=U.D.T(U) (T=transpose). But it certainly isn't necessarily true that L=+/-T(U).

Yes, your reasoning is correct. The given equation can be proven to be true by substituting in the expression for L and using the properties of symmetric matrices. The choice of L as +- D1/2UT is a valid solution to the equation and can be proven to be the only solution. So you are on the right track. Keep untangling those thoughts and keep up the good work!

What is a symmetric matrix?

A symmetric matrix is a square matrix where the elements above and below the main diagonal are mirror images of each other. In other words, if the element at row i and column j is a, then the element at row j and column i is also a.

How can you identify a symmetric matrix?

A symmetric matrix can be identified by checking if the matrix is equal to its own transpose. If the matrix A is equal to its transpose A^T, then it is a symmetric matrix.

What are the properties of a symmetric matrix?

Some properties of a symmetric matrix include: it is always square, it has real eigenvalues, it is always diagonalizable, and it is always orthogonally similar to a diagonal matrix.

How are symmetric matrices used in mathematics and science?

Symmetric matrices have many applications in mathematics and science. They are used in linear algebra, graph theory, quantum mechanics, and statistics. They also have practical applications in engineering, physics, and computer science.

Can a non-square matrix be symmetric?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be symmetric. Symmetry in a matrix requires the same number of rows and columns, so a non-square matrix cannot have elements that are mirror images of each other.