Question About Physics Homework (High School Physics)

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question asking for the magnitude of the braking force applied to a 2229.5 kg car that is coasting at 31.1 m/s and is stopped in a distance of 70.2 m. The group discusses using equations of kinematics to find the time and average acceleration, and using the formula F=ma to find the braking force. One member struggles with the problem and asks for step-by-step help, while others offer suggestions and encouragement.
streetracer14
Okay, I have stuck on this question for about 10 minutes now, and just thought I would ask you guys for some help. Okay, the question is "A 2229.5 kg car is coasting along a level road at 31.1 m/s. A constant braking force is applied, such that the car is stopped in a distance of 70.2 M. What is the magnitude of the braking force? Answer in units of N"

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the initial speed and the stopping distance. Use that to find the time it takes to stop. Look at your equations of kinematics.

Once you know the time you know the average acceleration.

Can you finish?

I'll give you a hint, F = ma

wait we aren't finding acceleration, we're finding deacceleration? right?
lol

does it matter which?

deceleration is just a fancy way to say that the acceleration is negative or opposing the velocity, so they should be the same magnitude but you may tack on a different direction depending on which word you use (one word carries an inherent negative)

Okay, well I think I got it, but can someone post like a step-by-step on how to do this, because I think I got the answer right, but just not sure how to get there... lol

Post your steps and we'll tell you if you've got it right.

okay, well I just went over them again, and I realized I did some of it wrong and now I am lost. So far, all I did now is take the 70 .2m/31.1m/s and got about 2.24. I'm not sure if this is correct, but what now?? I'm getting frustrated with this (not you guys, the problem)

What are you trying to find there? I would start by finding the acceleration, which you can do by using one kinematic equation. Look at them and pick the one that has the things you know in it, along with acceleration which you want to find.

Show us what you are doing!

Please!

1. What is the purpose of learning physics in high school?

The purpose of learning physics in high school is to develop a fundamental understanding of the basic principles and laws that govern the physical world. It also helps to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are necessary for many careers in science, technology, engineering, and math.

2. What topics are typically covered in high school physics?

Some common topics covered in high school physics include mechanics (kinematics, forces, energy, etc.), waves and sound, electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics (atomic and nuclear physics). Some schools may also cover topics like thermodynamics and fluid mechanics.

3. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

To improve your understanding of physics concepts, it is important to actively engage in the learning process. This can include reading the textbook, completing practice problems, attending lectures and discussions, and seeking help from your teacher or peers when needed. It can also be helpful to apply physics concepts to real-world situations and to use visual aids or simulations to enhance your understanding.

4. What are some common challenges students face in high school physics?

Some common challenges students face in high school physics include understanding abstract concepts, solving complex problems, and applying mathematical equations. Time management and study skills can also be important factors in success. It is important to seek help and resources when needed and to consistently practice and review concepts.

5. How can I prepare for physics exams?

To prepare for physics exams, it is important to review class notes and materials regularly, complete practice problems, and seek help from your teacher or peers when needed. It can also be helpful to create study guides or flashcards, and to use online resources or review books for additional practice. Additionally, make sure to get enough rest and eat well before the exam to ensure you are in the best condition to perform well.