Work Done on a Parallel Plate Capacitor

In summary, an external force changes the distance between the electrodes of an isolated 5.60 microfarad parallel-plate capacitor with 4.90 mC of charge until the capacitance becomes 2.00 microfarads. The initial potential of the system is found to be 875 V using C = Q/V. It is unclear how to solve for the final distance between the plates and which values remain constant as the plates are separated.
vertabatt

Homework Statement

An isolated 5.60 microfarad parallel-plate capacitor has 4.90 mC of charge. An external force changes the distance between the electrodes until the capacitance is 2.00 microfarads.

Homework Equations

W = Fd
c = Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution

My first instinct was to solve to the potential of the system in it's initial conditions:

C = Q/V

5.60*10^-6 F = .0049C/V
V = 875 V

Now is where I become a little confused. I'm not sure how I can solve for the distance between the plates in the final condition. Also, I'm not sure what values stay constant as the plates are separated.

Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use C = Q/V. Note that V = Ed, where E is the field between the plates. Does the field change as the plates are separated?

Hello,

I would like to point out that the given information is not sufficient to accurately solve for the distance between the plates in the final condition. This is because the external force that is applied to change the distance between the plates is not specified. The distance between the plates can only be determined if we know the magnitude and direction of the force applied.

However, we can still make some observations and assumptions to gain a better understanding of the situation. From the given information, we can see that the capacitance of the system decreases from 5.60 microfarads to 2.00 microfarads. This means that the distance between the plates must have increased, as capacitance is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. We can also assume that the external force applied is in the direction of increasing the distance between the plates.

Now, to solve for the distance between the plates, we can use the equation W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the external force, and d is the distance between the plates. We know that the work done on the system is equal to the change in potential energy, which can be calculated using the formula U = 1/2 * C * V^2. Since the capacitance and charge remain constant, the only variable that changes is the potential difference (V) between the plates.

We can set up the following equation to solve for the distance between the plates:

W = U_final - U_initial
Fd = 1/2 * C * (V_final^2 - V_initial^2)

Substituting the values we know, we get:

F * d = 1/2 * (5.60 * 10^-6) * (0 - (875)^2)

Solving for d, we get:

d = - 3.18 * 10^-4 meters

Since distance cannot be negative, we can conclude that the distance between the plates in the final condition is approximately 3.18 * 10^-4 meters greater than the initial distance.

In conclusion, while we cannot accurately determine the distance between the plates without knowing the external force applied, we can still make some assumptions and use equations to get a rough estimate. I hope this helps.

1. What is work done on a parallel plate capacitor?

Work done on a parallel plate capacitor refers to the amount of energy required to move a charge from one plate of the capacitor to the other. It is also known as the potential difference between the plates.

2. How is work done on a parallel plate capacitor calculated?

The work done on a parallel plate capacitor is calculated by multiplying the potential difference (V) between the plates by the charge (Q) stored on the plates, i.e. W = QV.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work done on a parallel plate capacitor?

The unit of measurement for work done on a parallel plate capacitor is joules (J), which is the standard unit for energy.

4. How does the distance between the plates affect the work done on a parallel plate capacitor?

The work done on a parallel plate capacitor is directly proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that increasing the distance between the plates will decrease the work done, while decreasing the distance will increase the work done.

5. Can work be done on a parallel plate capacitor without changing the potential difference or charge?

No, work can only be done on a parallel plate capacitor by either changing the potential difference between the plates or by changing the charge stored on the plates. Without these changes, no work can be done on the capacitor.