Interference and Diffraction

In summary, to solve this problem, you can use the equation for the path difference in a Michelson interferometer and plug in the known values for wavelength and the number of dark fringes moved. By converting the units, you can find that the mirror was moved 0.24mm.
Aphrael

Homework Statement

The distance between the movable mirror and the beam splitter in a Michelson interferometer is increased a small amount. What this happens, you see 200 dark fringes move across the field of view. If the incident light was 600nm, by how much was the mirror moved (in millimeters)?

Homework Equations

I am not sure at all how to begin this problem. I do not think that I can use the equation sin (theta) =m(wavelength)/d because the only variables I know is wavelength. I am not sure what to do with the 200 dark fringes because I do not think that m=200. I also do not know if I could use x =nLw/d because although I think I am solving for L, I do not know x,n, or d. How do I begin?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. To solve this problem, we can use the equation for the path difference in a Michelson interferometer:

Δx = 2dΔm

Where Δx is the change in path difference, d is the distance between the movable mirror and the beam splitter, and Δm is the number of dark fringes moved.

We know that the wavelength of the incident light is 600nm, so we can plug that into the equation:

Δx = 2dΔm = 2(600nm)Δm

Now, we are given that 200 dark fringes have moved across the field of view. This means that Δm = 200. Plugging this into the equation, we get:

Δx = 2(600nm)(200) = 240,000nm

However, we are asked to find the distance in millimeters, so we need to convert the units. 1nm = 10^-9m, and 1m = 1000mm, so 1nm = 10^-6mm. Therefore,:

Δx = 240,000nm = 240,000(10^-6)mm = 0.24mm

So, the mirror was moved 0.24mm.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

To solve this problem, we can use the equation for the number of fringes, N, in an interference pattern: N = d/lambda, where d is the distance between the movable mirror and the beam splitter, and lambda is the wavelength of the incident light. Since we are given the number of fringes (200) and the wavelength (600nm), we can rearrange the equation to solve for d: d = N*lambda.

Therefore, the mirror was moved a distance of 200*600nm = 120,000nm or 0.12mm.

It is important to note that the equation sin(theta) = m*lambda/d is used for diffraction patterns, not interference patterns. In this case, we are dealing with an interference pattern, so the equation for the number of fringes is more appropriate.

I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. What is the difference between interference and diffraction?

Interference and diffraction are both phenomena that occur when waves interact with each other. Interference refers to the phenomenon where two or more waves combine to form a new wave with a different amplitude. Diffraction, on the other hand, refers to the bending of waves around obstacles or through small openings.

2. How does interference and diffraction affect light waves?

Interference and diffraction play a crucial role in the behavior of light waves. They can cause light waves to interfere with each other, leading to the formation of patterns such as interference fringes. Diffraction can also cause light waves to spread out when passing through narrow openings, creating patterns such as diffraction rings.

3. What are the practical applications of interference and diffraction?

Interference and diffraction have many practical applications in various fields. In optics, they are used to create diffraction gratings, which are used in spectrometers to separate light into its component wavelengths. They are also used in the production of holograms and in interferometry, a technique used in precision measurements.

4. How do sound waves demonstrate interference and diffraction?

Sound waves also exhibit interference and diffraction behaviors. When two sound waves with the same frequency and amplitude overlap, they can create areas of constructive and destructive interference, resulting in louder or quieter regions. Diffraction of sound waves can also occur when passing through small openings or around obstacles, causing changes in the sound's direction and intensity.

5. What is the role of wavelength in interference and diffraction?

The wavelength of a wave plays a crucial role in determining the interference and diffraction patterns that are formed. Waves with shorter wavelengths, such as light waves, exhibit more pronounced diffraction effects, while waves with longer wavelengths, such as sound waves, have less noticeable diffraction. The wavelength also affects the spacing between interference fringes, with shorter wavelengths resulting in closer spacing.