Finding the Height of a Block Released from a Frictionless Track

• Thread starter Elbobo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ramp
In summary, the problem involves a block sliding down a frictionless track except for a small rough area, and then flying through the air and hitting the ground. The goal is to find the height above the ground at which the block is released. After trying multiple methods, it is found that using energy conservation is the most effective way to solve the problem. The final answer for the unknown height is 3.81834375 meters.
Elbobo

Homework Statement

A block starts at rest and slides down a frictionless track except for a small rough area on a horizontal section of the track (as shown in: http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/5711/25li4.jpg ).
It leaves the track horizontally, flies through
the air, and subsequently strikes the ground.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s^2.

At what height h above the ground is the block released? Answer in units of m.

I tried a bajillion different methods, and my latest brought me to figuring out the speed of the block is right before the rough area in order to find the unknown height. However, since I can't find that speed, I can't find that height either. Soemone help please :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't you find the speed of the block as it leaves the track in terms of h?

Err, is this what you meant...:

2.4 = (gt^2)/2
t = sqrt (4.8 / g)
vx = x / t = 3.69/ (sqrt (4.8/g))

vx = v

v = sqrt(2g (h-2.4)) = 3.69 / (sqrt (4.8/g))
h = 3.81834375 m

It's wrong though ><

Oh and I'm pretty sure that I need to incorporate the coefficent of kinetic friction, but I can't figure out a way to do it with this problem using Fnet = Fa - Ffr

To find the speed of the block, use energy conservation:
Energy(initial) + Work done by friction (which is negative) = Energy(final)

Where Energy means mechanical energy: KE + PE.

OH! I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thank you, that worked.

1. What is a ramp in a work/energy problem?

A ramp in a work/energy problem refers to an inclined plane that is used to change the direction of motion of an object. It is typically used to make it easier to move an object from one point to another by reducing the amount of force required.

2. How do you calculate the work done on a ramp?

The work done on a ramp can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to move the object by the distance it is moved in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the force, and d is the distance moved.

3. What is the relationship between work and energy on a ramp?

The relationship between work and energy on a ramp is that work is the transfer of energy from one form to another. In the case of a ramp, the work done on an object is converted into its kinetic energy as it moves down the ramp.

4. How does the angle of the ramp affect the work/energy problem?

The angle of the ramp affects the work/energy problem by changing the amount of force required to move an object. As the angle of the ramp increases, the force required to move the object decreases, resulting in less work being done and less energy being transferred.

5. What factors can affect the work/energy problem on a ramp?

Some factors that can affect the work/energy problem on a ramp include the angle of the ramp, the mass of the object being moved, and the force applied to move the object. Friction and the shape of the object can also play a role in determining the amount of work done and energy transferred on a ramp.