What is a safe way to charge myself to 300V?

• Thread starter seang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, the conversation is about charging the body to voltages around 300V, with one person asking if using a series resistor between them and the output is safe and if there is a safer way to charge themselves accurately. The other person suggests using a high-end electrometer to measure the voltage and cautions to use a current limiting resistor to avoid danger. They also suggest using a resistor that can withstand the voltage and staying below 15 mA. The person asking for help agrees to take the suggestions into consideration.
seang
Hi,

I am trying to charge my body to voltages around 300V. I have a high voltage DC power supply; I can set the current limit down to about 10uA. I was also thinking about using a series resistor between me and the output. Is this safe? How safe? Is there a safer way to charge myself !accurately!?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why?

seang said:
Hi,

I am trying to charge my body to voltages around 300V. I have a high voltage DC power supply; I can set the current limit down to about 10uA. I was also thinking about using a series resistor between me and the output. Is this safe? How safe? Is there a safer way to charge myself !accurately!?

Thanks

You definitely need to tell us the context of this question.

Hi,

I am studying some items related to electrostatic discharge. In the past, I have just walked around on a carpet for a while, or used a Van de Graaff generator to electrify myself. I need to get a bit more quantitative though.

I could just charge myself with the carpet, and use some nice way to measure my voltage, but I don't have the equipment to do this (an electrometer).

Thanks for your help

Charging yourself to 300v isn't too much of a problem - assuming you take care to insulate yourself, make sure you are using DC (!) and have a nice big current limiting resistor.

Measuring the voltage is trickier.
The capacitance of a person is typically 100pf. So at 300V you would only have 30nC of charge on you. If you used a high-end Digital meter or scope with 10M input impedance, the time constant would be tiny.

What's a good way to insulate myself? I've got rubber soles, is that good enough?

Thanks

seang said:
What's a good way to insulate myself? I've got rubber soles, is that good enough?

Thanks

Yeah, that's fine. It depends a bit on the humidity, right? Also, it sounds like an electrometer would be a good project for you to build for all of this, eh?

Interesting suggestion; what kind of electrometer would be best to build?

I've built some amateurish electrometers, kinda like the one shown here:

http://amasci.com/electrom/e-field2.html

but that really doesn't offer the precision I need. Where I work, we have also have a rotating electrode type electrometer, but that hasn't satisfied me either.

Be sure to calculate the resistor correctly. In no case you should be able to receive more than a few mA. Safest to stay below, say, 1 mA or so (even assuming you're a short to ground). For 300 V you'd need then at least 300 KOhm. Also be sure to have a resistor that can stand the voltage.

From 15 mA onwards, it becomes dangerous.

vanesch said:
Be sure to calculate the resistor correctly. In no case you should be able to receive more than a few mA. Safest to stay below, say, 1 mA or so (even assuming you're a short to ground). For 300 V you'd need then at least 300 KOhm. Also be sure to have a resistor that can stand the voltage.

From 15 mA onwards, it becomes dangerous.

Thanks for your input. I am able to limit the current output of the supply, so I should be OK. I will take your suggestion on the resistor anyhow, thanks.

1. What is the safest way to charge myself to 300V?

The safest way to charge yourself to 300V is to use a high voltage power supply that is specifically designed for human use. These types of power supplies have built-in safety features such as current and voltage limiters to prevent accidental electric shocks. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions when using such devices.

2. Can I use a regular electrical outlet to charge myself to 300V?

No, it is not safe to use a regular electrical outlet to charge yourself to 300V. Most household outlets have a maximum voltage of 120V, which is not enough to reach 300V. Additionally, using a regular outlet for high voltage charging is extremely dangerous and can result in serious injury or death. It is important to use proper equipment and follow safety protocols when dealing with high voltage.

3. Are there any precautions I should take before attempting to charge myself to 300V?

Yes, there are several precautions you should take before attempting to charge yourself to 300V. First, make sure you are wearing appropriate protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat. It is also important to have a clear understanding of the equipment you are using and to follow all safety protocols. Additionally, you should have a trained professional present to supervise and assist with the process.

4. How long does it take to charge myself to 300V?

The time it takes to charge yourself to 300V will vary depending on the equipment and methods used. It is important to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer and to monitor the voltage carefully during the charging process. It is also crucial to discharge yourself safely after reaching 300V to avoid any potential harm.

5. Is it safe to charge myself to 300V multiple times?

It is not recommended to charge yourself to 300V multiple times in a short period of time. High voltage charging can be dangerous and should only be done under controlled and supervised conditions. It is important to allow your body to recover and discharge safely after each charging session. Consult with a trained professional for proper guidance on repeated high voltage charging.