Where do I get started with analog/digital circuit design?

In summary: Definitely. Pick up a used copy of H&H, and build a couple kits. See the other posts on this theme in the EE forum, and then kick some ____.There is tons of info on introductory electronics out there. A quick way is to google and wiki various topics in.Besides the theory, there is nothing like building and testing circuits. You can pick up a breadboard, some wiring, a couple of resistors and capacitors in radio shack, as well as an op-amp. Put those together, and see how well your circuit agrees with theory.I'm currently on spring break and with a physics book I'm teaching myself electrical physics.It starts with the basics. The two fundamental
tkahn6
How do I even get started with analog/digital circuit design?

Can you recommend any books or lectures I can read or watch?

How did you get started?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
tkahn6 said:
How do I even get started with analog/digital circuit design?

Can you recommend any books or lectures I can read or watch?

How did you get started?

Thanks!

Welcome to the PF. Where are you in school? What kits/projects have you built so far?

I'm a broken record when it comes to recommending a cover-to-cover read of "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. Do you have a technical library nearby where you can check out a copy?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. Where are you in school? What kits/projects have you built so far?

I'm a broken record when it comes to recommending a cover-to-cover read of "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. Do you have a technical library nearby where you can check out a copy?

Thanks!
I'm a Junior in high school. As for my experience, I've stuck with teaching myself computer science for the past few years. Thus, I've built no models nor messed with any kits. However, I am quite familiar with C and have a working knowledge of pointer arithmetic/manipulation (if that helps).

I'm currently on spring break and with a physics book I'm teaching myself electrical physics.

Thanks again for your reply! I'll try and pickup a copy of the book you recommended tomorrow.

tkahn6 said:
Thanks!
I'm a Junior in high school. As for my experience, I've stuck with teaching myself computer science for the past few years. Thus, I've built no models nor messed with any kits. However, I am quite familiar with C and have a working knowledge of pointer arithmetic/manipulation (if that helps).

I'm currently on spring break and with a physics book I'm teaching myself electrical physics.

Thanks again for your reply! I'll try and pickup a copy of the book you recommended tomorrow.

Definitely. Pick up a used copy of H&H, and build a couple kits. See the other posts on this theme in the EE forum, and then kick some ____.

There is tons of info on introductory electronics out there. A quick way is to google and wiki various topics in.

Besides the theory, there is nothing like building and testing circuits. You can pick up a breadboard, some wiring, a couple of resistors and capacitors in radio shack, as well as an op-amp. Put those together, and see how well your circuit agrees with theory.

tkahn6 said:
It starts with the basics. The two fundamental building blocks are voltage and current. Use the physics book to get a handle on those, and basic resistor circuits. After that an actual electronics book is the way to go, and Horowitz and Hill is widely recognized as the best there is.

Good luck!

1. Where can I find resources to learn about analog/digital circuit design?

There are many online resources available to learn about analog/digital circuit design. Some popular websites include All About Circuits, Electronics Tutorials, and SparkFun. You can also find textbooks, videos, and tutorials on platforms like Coursera, edX, and YouTube.

2. What are the essential components needed for analog/digital circuit design?

The essential components for analog/digital circuit design include resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes, transistors, and operational amplifiers. You will also need a breadboard, multimeter, and power supply to test and measure your circuits.

3. How do I choose the right components for my circuit design?

When choosing components for your circuit design, it is important to consider their specifications such as resistance, capacitance, and voltage ratings. You should also consider the type of component, whether it is through-hole or surface mount, as well as its compatibility with other components in your circuit.

4. What software tools are available for analog/digital circuit design?

There are various software tools available for analog/digital circuit design, such as LTspice, CircuitMaker, and Eagle. These tools allow you to simulate and design circuits, test their functionality, and create PCB layouts. They also provide a library of components for easy use in your designs.

5. How can I ensure the reliability and functionality of my circuit design?

To ensure the reliability and functionality of your circuit design, it is important to carefully test and simulate your design before implementing it. You can use simulation software or build a prototype on a breadboard to test the functionality and make necessary adjustments. It is also important to consider factors such as thermal management, noise reduction, and safety precautions when designing your circuit.