Matrix Algebra to decode a message

Remember that the alphabet key is based on the Fibonacci sequence, so you will need to use that to decode the message. In summary, to decode the message hidden in the matrix, you will need to find the inverse or identity matrix and then multiply it by the given matrix, using the Fibonacci sequence as the alphabet key.
blueparukia

Homework Statement

Hey, I need to decode a message hidden in a Matrix as a practice activity, and I'm rather stuck.

The alphabet key is starting from the letter A,numbered using first:
a)Fibonacci Sequence
b)Prime Numbers
c)Counting Numbers
d)No numbers higher than 27

http://latex.sidoh.org/?render64=WD1cWyBcbGVmdCggXGJlZ2lue2FycmF5fXtjY2N9DQoxICYgMCAmIDEgXFwNCjAgJiAxICYgMCBcXA0KMSAmIDAgJiAxIFxlbmR7YXJyYXl9IFxyaWdodClcXQ==
http://latex.sidoh.org/?render64=WT1cWyBcbGVmdCggXGJlZ2lue2FycmF5fXtjY2N9DQotMiAmIDIgJiAxIFxcDQowICYgMiAmIDQgXFwNCi0yICYgNCAmIDQgXGVuZHthcnJheX0gXHJpZ2h0KVxd
http://latex.sidoh.org/?render64=VT1cWyBcbGVmdCggXGJlZ2lue2FycmF5fXtjY2N9DQo0MiAmIDEyMSAmIDEzMSBcXA0KMjUgJiA5MyAmIDkyIFxcDQoyNyAmIDk3ICYgOTcgXFwNCjI5ICYgMTExICYgMTEyIFxcDQo3ICYgMzYgJiAzMiBcXA0KMzQgJiA4OCAmIDk4IFxlbmR7YXJyYXl9IFxyaWdodClcXQ==
Now we have the hard part, we have to use "matrix algebra" (which we learned over a month ago) to find the real message. An instinct tells me I have to either find an inverse or identity, but I don't know how to do that with a matrix.

Homework Equations

The encoded matrix, U, is the product of (X+Y)^T

The Attempt at a Solution

Not a whole heap since I only have a sheet and now textbooks, but still I did the alphabet key:
Code:
First we have to solve the alphabet key, which I've done:
A=1
B=2
C=3
D=5
E=8
F=13 
G=21
H=7
I=11
J=17
K=19
L=23
M=4
N=6
O=9
P=10
Q=12
R=14
S=15
T=16
U=18
V=20
W=22
X=24
Y=25
Z=26
Space=27

And I know I have to times something by an inverse or identity, but I don't know what. THe only thing I can remember on Matrix algebra is AX=something.

I know this is not the greatest attempt, but I've worked 17 hours this weekend, I have no idea what to do, and after this I still have to work out how to reencode a message (which I should hopefully be able to work out)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
so any help would be great. The first step is to find the inverse or identity matrix for the given matrix. To do this, you can use a program like MATLAB or Wolfram Alpha. Once you have the inverse or identity matrix, you can then multiply the given matrix by it to get the original message.

Dear student,

It seems that you are on the right track with using matrix algebra to decode the message hidden in the given matrices. As you have correctly mentioned, the encoded matrix, U, is the product of (X+Y)^T, where X and Y represent the matrices given in the problem.

To find the real message, you will need to use the inverse of the matrix (X+Y)^T. In matrix algebra, the inverse of a matrix is denoted by A^-1 and it is defined as the matrix that, when multiplied by A, gives the identity matrix I.

To find the inverse of a matrix, you can use the following formula:

A^-1 = (1/|A|) * adj(A)

Where |A| represents the determinant of the matrix A and adj(A) represents the adjugate of the matrix A.

Once you have the inverse of (X+Y)^T, you can multiply it with the encoded matrix U to get the original message. The process of multiplying matrices is known as matrix multiplication and it follows the rule of "row times column".

I hope this helps you in decoding the message. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to your teacher or a tutor for additional support. Good luck!

1. What is matrix algebra?

Matrix algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation and analysis of matrices, which are rectangular arrays of numbers or symbols. It involves operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and inversion of matrices.

2. How is matrix algebra used to decode a message?

In the context of decoding a message, matrix algebra is used to encrypt and decrypt messages using a matrix key. The message is represented as a matrix and multiplied by the key matrix to produce an encrypted message. To decode the message, the encrypted message is multiplied by the inverse of the key matrix.

3. What are the key components of matrix algebra for decoding messages?

The key components of matrix algebra for decoding messages include matrix multiplication, matrix inversion, and knowledge of the key matrix used to encrypt the message. One must also have knowledge of any additional operations or steps involved in the specific encryption and decryption process being used.

4. What are some common applications of matrix algebra in decoding messages?

Matrix algebra is commonly used in cryptography and data encryption to encode and decode sensitive information. It is also used in error-correcting codes and communication systems to ensure accurate transmission of data. Additionally, matrix algebra can be used in machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms for pattern recognition and prediction.

5. Is knowledge of matrix algebra necessary to decode a message?

Yes, knowledge of matrix algebra is necessary to decode a message that has been encrypted using a matrix key. Without an understanding of matrix operations and how they are used to encrypt and decrypt messages, it is not possible to decode the message correctly.