What is the Transpose of Y = Sin(x) + Cos(x)?

• Thread starter ZachGriffin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transpose
In summary, the conversation started with a question about transposing Y = Sin(x) + Cos(x) to make x the subject. The conversation then went on to discuss various identities and formulas related to trigonometric functions, such as sin(2x) = 2 sin x cos x and the sine angle sum formula. The conversation also touched on solving equations with multiple coefficients, such as Y = a sin(x) + b cos(x), which can be rewritten as R sin (x + alpha) using the formula R = Sqrt(a^2 + b^2) and alpha = atan(b / a). The conversation ended with a request for more information and a desire to understand how these formulas work rather than just knowing the answer
ZachGriffin
Hi Guys, Simple question; I'm trying to work out the transpose of Y = Sin(x) + Cos(x) to make x the subject. I thought it would be x = arccos(arcsin(y)) / 2 however I don't think that's right. Is there another theorem I'm missing?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
what's [tex]y^2[/tex]?

that is meant to be divided by 2

[tex]y = sin(x) + cos(x)[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow y^2 = (sin(x) + cos(x))^2[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow y^2 = sin^2(x) + 2sin(x)cos(x) + cos^2(x)[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow y^2 = \left(sin^2(x) + cos^2(x)\right) + 2sin(x)cos(x)[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow y^2 = 1 + 2sin(x)cos(x)[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow y^2 - 1 = 2sin(x)cos(x)[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow y^2 - 1 = sin(2x)[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow 2x = \sin^{-1 }(y^2 - 1)[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow x = \frac { \sin^{-1 } (y^2 - 1) } {2} [/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks very much for that. Anyone looking for the rules for this, I've found them on http://math2.org/math/trig/identities.htm

sin(2x) = 2 sin x cos x

sin^2(x) = 1/2 - 1/2 cos(2x)

cos^2(x) = 1/2 + 1/2 cos(2x)

[tex]sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1[/tex] should be one of the first identities you learn.

You can put it into another form by noting:

[tex]\sin x + \cos x = \sqrt{2}\left[\sin x \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right) + \cos x \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right)\right] = \sqrt{2}\left[\sin x \cos \frac{\pi}{4} + \cos x \sin \frac{\pi}{4} \right] = \sqrt{2}\sin \left(x+\frac{\pi}{4}\right)[/tex].

So, y is also equal to this expression and you can solve for x. Since you don't seem to be familiar with many trig identities, I used the sine "angle sum formula", [itex]\sin(a \pm b) = \sin a \cos b \pm \cos a \sin b[/itex].

Last edited:
Suppose I was to change the equation to Y = a sin(x) + b cos(x). How would I transpose it to make x the subject? I've searched through identities on that site but can't find one that relates to having 2 different coefficients a and b.

ZachGriffin said:
Suppose I was to change the equation to Y = a sin(x) + b cos(x). How would I transpose it to make x the subject? I've searched through identities on that site but can't find one that relates to having 2 different coefficients a and b.
Think hard about how Mute's example works...

A bit more searching I've come across this:

a sin x + b cos x = R sin (x + alpha) which is an R Formulae with R = Sqrt(a^2 + b^2) and alpha = atan(b / a). If I use that I should be able to solve for x.

Having a look at Mute's post, what should I be looking for? It's been a few years since I left school so most of this is going back to that. I'd rather know how this thing works than just the answer so I'll keep looking.

ZachGriffin said:
Having a look at Mute's post, what should I be looking for?
To derive the formula you just found by searching -- his calculation is the derivation of that formula, just in a special case.

What is the formula for "Y = Sin(x) + Cos(x) Transpose"?

The formula for "Y = Sin(x) + Cos(x) Transpose" is simply the trigonometric function of sine and cosine added together and then transposed. It can be written as:
Y = Sin(x) + Cos(x)

What is the purpose of transposing in "Y = Sin(x) + Cos(x) Transpose"?

The purpose of transposing in "Y = Sin(x) + Cos(x) Transpose" is to change the position of the terms in the equation. In this case, it moves the cosine term to the other side of the equation, making it Y - Cos(x) = Sin(x).

What does the graph of "Y = Sin(x) + Cos(x) Transpose" look like?

The graph of "Y = Sin(x) + Cos(x) Transpose" is a sinusoidal curve with a phase shift of pi/4. It has an amplitude of 1 and a period of 2pi.

What is the domain of "Y = Sin(x) + Cos(x) Transpose"?

The domain of "Y = Sin(x) + Cos(x) Transpose" is all real numbers, as the sine and cosine functions are defined for all values of x.

Is "Y = Sin(x) + Cos(x) Transpose" a periodic function?

Yes, "Y = Sin(x) + Cos(x) Transpose" is a periodic function with a period of 2pi. This is because both the sine and cosine functions are periodic with a period of 2pi, and adding them together does not change this periodicity.