Transform Equation X(j+1)=X(j)+c1*(Y(j)-Y(j-1))+c2(Z(j)-Z(j-1)) into Diff Eq

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of transforming an equation into a differential one by multiplying it by (1/h) and approximating the differences by derivatives. This approach is reminiscent of the Taylor expansion series, but the equation does not have the higher order terms. The conversation also considers the option of taking the derivative of both g(x) and h(x) in the equation.
Aline Rocha
I have to transform this equation X(j+1)=X(j)+c1*(Y(j)-Y(j-1))+c2(Z(j)-Z(j-1))
in a differential one.

I would like to know if is it possible multiply the equation by (1/z), like this:

(X(j+1)-X(j)) / Z = c1*((Y(j)-Y(j-1))/ Z)+c2((Z(j)-Z(j-1)) / Z)

Then approximate the difference by derivates:

dX(j)=c1*dY(j)+c2*dZ(j) with z->0 ??
dz dz dz

Physics news on Phys.org
Aline Rocha said:
I have to transform this equation X(j+1)=X(j)+c1*(Y(j)-Y(j-1))+c2(Z(j)-Z(j-1))
in a differential one.

I would like to know if is it possible multiply the equation by (1/z), like this:

(X(j+1)-X(j)) / Z = c1*((Y(j)-Y(j-1))/ Z)+c2((Z(j)-Z(j-1)) / Z)

Then approximate the difference by derivates:

dX(j)=c1*dY(j)+c2*dZ(j) with z->0 ??
dz dz dz
What, exactly, is this "z" that you are dividing by? Is it the same as the function Z(j)?
And why would j+1 go to j as z goes to 0?

HallsofIvy said:
What, exactly, is this "z" that you are dividing by? Is it the same as the function Z(j)?
And why would j+1 go to j as z goes to 0?

Oh sorry! The "z" that I'm dividing isn't the same Z(j). And j+1=z+delta(z).

Ok, I'm going to try to write the problem again:
I have the following equation:

f(x+h)=f(x)+c1*(g(x)-g(x-h))+c2(h(x)-h(x-h)) (1)

I would like to now if is it possible multiply the equation by (1/h):

((f(x+h)-f(x))/ h)= c1*((g(x)-g(x-h))/z)+c2*((h(x)-h(x-h))/z)

Then approximate the differences by the derivates:

f '(x)=c1*g'(x)+c2*g'(2).

Or should I derivate the equation (1) in both sides, like this:

d[f(x+h)] = d [f(x)+c1*(g(x)-g(x-h))+c2(h(x)-h(x-h))]
dx dx

Aline Rocha said:
Ok, I'm going to try to write the problem again:
I have the following equation:

f(x+h)=f(x)+c1*(g(x)-g(x-h))+c2(h(x)-h(x-h)) (1)

I would like to now if is it possible multiply the equation by (1/h):

((f(x+h)-f(x))/ h)= c1*((g(x)-g(x-h))/z)+c2*((h(x)-h(x-h))/z)

Then approximate the differences by the derivates:

f '(x)=c1*g'(x)+c2*g'(2).

Or should I derivate the equation (1) in both sides, like this:

d[f(x+h)] = d [f(x)+c1*(g(x)-g(x-h))+c2(h(x)-h(x-h))]
dx dx

You could take the first approach provided the derivative of both g(x) and h(x) exists. This is reminiscent of the Taylor expansion series. Only, your equation does not have the higher order terms in it.

1. What is the purpose of transforming an equation into a differential equation?

Transforming an equation into a differential equation allows us to express the relationship between variables in terms of their rates of change. This is useful for modeling and analyzing systems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. How do you transform the given equation into a differential equation?

To transform the equation X(j+1)=X(j)+c1*(Y(j)-Y(j-1))+c2(Z(j)-Z(j-1)) into a differential equation, we will substitute X(j+1) with X'(t) and X(j) with X(t) in terms of the independent variable t. This will give us the equation X'(t)=X(t)+c1*(Y(t)-Y(t-1))+c2(Z(t)-Z(t-1)), which is now a differential equation in terms of t.

3. What do the terms c1 and c2 represent in the transformed differential equation?

The terms c1 and c2 represent the constants that are multiplied by the differences between the Y and Z variables. These constants can affect the behavior of the system and can be adjusted for different scenarios.

4. Can this transformed differential equation be solved analytically?

Yes, depending on the specific values of c1 and c2, the transformed differential equation can be solved analytically using techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or power series. However, in some cases, numerical methods may be necessary to solve the equation.

5. How can this transformed differential equation be used in practical applications?

This transformed differential equation can be used to model and analyze systems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. By solving the equation, we can determine the behavior and stability of the system, make predictions, and optimize the system's performance.