Assistance Needed For Rearranging Equations

• Thread starter asad1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assistance
In summary, the individual is struggling with rearranging formulae in their A2 physics studies, specifically Coulombs Law. They have tried using the triangle method but are looking for a better understanding of the process. They are asking for someone to explain how to rearrange Coulombs Law for a specific variable and express their appreciation for any help. The responder expresses disappointment in the education system for not properly teaching basic math skills and provides a resource for further understanding of equation rearrangement.
asad1
Im currently studying A2 physics and I am doing potentials and electric fields etc. I've learned about Coulombs Law etc. and I am having difficulty rearranging the formulae.
For example take Coulombs Law. I had to rearrange it for Q2 and I spent ages just trying to rearrange it as I don't know how to do it properly. I used to just use the triangle or learn the expressions.

Could someone explain me how to arrange coulombs law for q2 or for R.

Thank You
Much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a sad indication of high school standards when an A2 student can't rearrange a simple equation. I've always been against the triangle method as it allows students to rearrange equations without understanding what's going on. I'm not blaming you - it's the failing of teachers and an increasingly skills based curriculum that reduces the time spent dealing with the maths of physics.

Anyway, to answer your question take a look at this youtube video -

That gives all the basics of rearranging equations and there are many more to be found.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello, thank you for reaching out for assistance with rearranging equations in your A2 physics studies. Rearranging equations can be a challenging task, but with practice and understanding of the concepts, you will become more comfortable with it.

For Coulomb's Law, the formula is F = k(Q1*Q2)/R^2, where F is the force, k is a constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges, and R is the distance between the charges. To rearrange for Q2, you can follow these steps:

1. Start by multiplying both sides of the equation by R^2 to get rid of the denominator, which will give you FR^2 = k(Q1*Q2).

2. Then, divide both sides by k to isolate the Q1*Q2 term, giving you FR^2/k = Q1*Q2.

3. Finally, to solve for Q2, divide both sides by Q1, which will give you Q2 = FR^2/kQ1.

Remember to always perform the same operation on both sides of the equation to keep it balanced.

Similarly, if you need to rearrange for R, you can follow these steps:

1. Start by multiplying both sides by R^2 to get rid of the denominator, which will give you FR^2 = k(Q1*Q2).

2. Then, divide both sides by F to isolate the R^2 term, giving you R^2 = k(Q1*Q2)/F.

3. Finally, to solve for R, take the square root of both sides, which will give you R = √(k(Q1*Q2)/F).

Remember to always check your units when rearranging equations, as they need to be consistent on both sides of the equation.

I hope this helps you understand how to rearrange equations for Coulomb's Law. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. Keep practicing and you will become more confident in rearranging equations. Good luck with your studies!

1. How do I rearrange equations to solve for a specific variable?

To rearrange equations, you can use the properties of equality to isolate the variable you want to solve for. Start by simplifying the equation using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Keep in mind that whatever operation you perform on one side of the equation, you must also perform on the other side. This will help you isolate the variable and solve for it.

2. What are the common mistakes people make when rearranging equations?

One common mistake is not using the properties of equality correctly. Another mistake is not performing the same operation on both sides of the equation. It is also important to be careful with negative signs and not forgetting to distribute them when necessary.

3. How do I know if I rearranged an equation correctly?

You can check your work by substituting your answer back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. Another way is to use a graphing calculator to graph both the original and rearranged equations and see if they have the same slope and y-intercept.

4. Can I rearrange any type of equation?

Yes, you can rearrange any type of equation as long as it follows the rules of algebra. This includes equations with one or multiple variables, equations with exponents, and equations with fractions.

5. How can rearranging equations be useful in scientific research?

Rearranging equations is a useful skill in scientific research as it allows scientists to manipulate and solve complex equations to better understand relationships between variables. It also helps in predicting and modeling various phenomena in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.