Calculating Osmotic Pressure: Ammonium Sulfate & Sucrose

• Thread starter moil60
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, osmotic pressure is the pressure created by the movement of water from an area of lower solute concentration to an area of higher solute concentration through a semipermeable membrane. It can be calculated using the Van't Hoff equation and is affected by factors such as temperature and the presence of other solutes. Osmotic pressure has practical applications in various industries and is important for the functioning of cells and industrial processes.
moil60
when calculating the osmotic pressure of a solution with 0.03M ammonium sulfate and 0.04M sucrose...do i need to add the concentration for sucrose?

2 ions of ammonium
1 ion of sulphate

3 x 0.03M = 0.09M

do i need to add the 0.04M ?

thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm no expert but I think you should add it. As it is not ionized you can just add it. I might be wrong!

Yes, you would need to add the concentration of sucrose to accurately calculate the osmotic pressure of the solution. Osmotic pressure is a colligative property, meaning it depends on the number of particles in a solution, not just the type of particles. In this case, both ammonium sulfate and sucrose will contribute to the overall osmotic pressure of the solution. Therefore, the total concentration of the solution would be 0.09M + 0.04M = 0.13M. This total concentration should be used in the osmotic pressure equation to accurately calculate the osmotic pressure of the solution.

1. What is osmotic pressure?

Osmotic pressure is the pressure that is created when a solution is separated by a semipermeable membrane into two compartments with different concentrations of solutes. It is the force that drives the movement of water from an area of lower solute concentration to an area of higher solute concentration.

2. How is osmotic pressure calculated?

Osmotic pressure can be calculated by using the Van't Hoff equation: π = iMRT, where π is the osmotic pressure, i is the van't Hoff factor, M is the molarity of the solute, R is the gas constant, and T is the absolute temperature in Kelvin.

3. What is the difference between Ammonium Sulfate and Sucrose in terms of osmotic pressure?

Ammonium Sulfate and Sucrose are both solutes that can be used to create osmotic pressure. The main difference between them is their molecular weight and the number of particles they dissociate into when dissolved in water. Ammonium Sulfate has a higher molecular weight and dissociates into two particles, while Sucrose has a lower molecular weight and does not dissociate. This means that Ammonium Sulfate will have a higher osmotic pressure compared to Sucrose at the same concentration.

4. What factors can affect the calculation of osmotic pressure?

There are several factors that can affect the calculation of osmotic pressure. These include temperature, pressure, and the presence of other solutes or particles in the solution. It is important to take these factors into consideration when calculating osmotic pressure to ensure accuracy.

5. How can the osmotic pressure of a solution be used in practical applications?

The osmotic pressure of a solution has many practical applications, such as in the food industry for preserving and storing food. It is also used in medicine, for example in the creation of intravenous fluids and in dialysis treatments for patients with kidney failure. In addition, osmotic pressure plays a crucial role in the regulation of plant and animal cells, as well as in industrial processes such as water purification and desalination.