Conservation of charge, but not conservation of energy

In summary, the problem involves a DC voltage in series with a resistor and a capacitor. At time t=0, a switch is closed to add another capacitor in parallel with the first capacitor. The charge on the first capacitor at t=0- is not equal to 0 and the charge on the second capacitor is 0. As time passes, the second capacitor begins to charge and eventually reaches equilibrium. The equations show that energy is lost to heat in the resistor, but the total charge remains conserved. However, it is not clear how to show this mathematically. The equations for energy lost and efficiency may provide some direction in solving the problem.
imsickofweed

Homework Statement

A DC voltage (V) in series with a resistor of value R and in series with a capacitor (C1) at time t=0 a switch closes to put another capacitor (C2) in parallel with C1 and in series with V and R. The charge on C1 at t=0- Q1(0-)=/0 (doesn't equal 0) and charge on C2 at t=0- Q2(0-)=0 at time t=0+ C2 begins to charge and eventually comes to equilibrium. Show conservation of charge exists and that conservation of energy doesn't exist

Homework Equations

energy lost = power x time = ∫I(t)2 R dt

I(t) = \frac{V_1\,-\,V_0}{R}\,e^{-\frac{1}{CR}\,t}

V_1\ -\ V(t) = (V_1\,-\,V_0)\,e^{-\frac{1}{CR}\,t}

Energy lost (to heat in the resistor):

\int\,I^2(t)\,R\,dt\ =\ \frac{1}{2}\,C (V_1\,-\,V_0)^2[/itex]

Efficiency (energy lost per total energy):

[tex]\frac{V_1^2\,-\,V_0^2}{V_1^2\,-\,V_0^2\,+\,(V_1\,-\,V_0)^2}\ =\ \frac{1}{2}\,\left(1\,+\,\frac{V_0}{V_1}\right)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just not sure how to set up the equations to show that it works.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that the total charge is conserved, but I'm not sure how to show it mathematically. Can someone point me in the right direction?

it is important to understand the concept of conservation of charge and conservation of energy. Conservation of charge states that the total charge in a closed system remains constant, while conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed from one form to another.

In this scenario, we can see that the total charge in the system remains constant. At t=0, the charge on C1 is not equal to 0, but when the switch is closed, the charge on C2 becomes 0, balancing out the total charge in the system. This shows that conservation of charge is indeed present in this system.

However, we can also see that there is a loss of energy in the system. As the capacitors charge up, there is a flow of current through the resistor, which results in heat being dissipated. This energy loss is shown in the equations provided, where the energy lost is equal to the power (I^2R) multiplied by the time over which it is lost. This shows that conservation of energy is not present in this system.

In conclusion, while conservation of charge is present in this system, conservation of energy is not. This highlights the importance of understanding both concepts in order to fully understand the behavior of a system.

What is the conservation of charge?

The conservation of charge is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total electric charge in a closed system remains constant over time. This means that charge cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one object to another.

What is the conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy is another fundamental law in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This means that the total energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

What is the difference between conservation of charge and conservation of energy?

The main difference between the two is that while charge is a property of matter, energy is a property of both matter and non-matter. Additionally, conservation of charge only applies to electric charge, while conservation of energy applies to all forms of energy.

Why is the conservation of charge important?

The conservation of charge is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of electrical systems. It also plays a crucial role in many technological advancements, such as electronics and power generation.

Why is there no conservation of energy in certain situations?

The conservation of energy only applies to closed systems, where no energy is transferred to or from the system. In situations where energy is being transferred, such as in chemical reactions or nuclear reactions, the total energy of the system may change. However, the total energy of the universe remains constant.