US Job market outlook for EE/CE?

In summary, the job market for EE/CE in the US is currently experiencing conflicting opinions and information. While some say there is high demand for these engineers, others suggest a surplus of young professionals and a tough job market. The power industry is said to have a higher demand for EE's, while the mobile field shows potential for future growth. It is recommended to gain internships for valuable work experience and to consider potential job locations. The overall outlook for the job market is expected to improve in the next 2-5 years.
GeoMike
Hello,
I'm halfway through my undergrad program in EE (I've also been taking the necessary courses for a CE concentration, but have no yet declared it).
I was wondering if anyone out there could give me an idea of what the job market for EE (and CE) looks like in the US at this moment, and where it looks to be going in the near future (2-5 years).

I've asked around my college but I get a mix of opinion. Some say that EE/CE is in high demand and finding a job (with a BSEE) shouldn't be too tough. Others say that there are a surplus of young EE/CE's and so jobs are hard to find, especially in this economy. My advisor thinks that although the IEEE indicates a high demand for EE/CE, they are really focused more on EE/CE employers, and as such are encouraging young people to pursue EE/CE so as to over-supply the market and keep employer costs down.
I've also been told that the power industry is where EE's are really in demand, while the CE field and related industries are currently saturated with EE/CE's leading to a lot of competition over few jobs with low starting pay.

Looking on the internet hasn't been much help as I get the same conflicting information. Some say that the demand for engineers is high, others say it is low.

It is important for me to have some general idea of where the US EE/CE job market is (and where it looks to be going), so that I know what fields of EE/CE I should consider (to make myself more marketable) and in part so I can decide when/if to attend graduate school

Any advice/insight you can offer would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
GeoMike

Physics news on Phys.org
Seriously? Nobody is in a position to say anything meaningful about this subject?
I'm not looking for a crystal ball just some thoughts about what kind of job market I might be entering when looking for an EE/CE job in a couple of years.

Thanks,
GeoMike

Maybe in the mobile field you can find good prospects. Hence the power field for more efficient batteries, etc. Mobile hardware and software appears to be where the demand will be in the future. You'll be graduating at a good time, so you shouldn't worry. The economy should be improving by 2011/2012. It is still garbage now but is slowly recovering with job losses much lower than 6 months ago.

Don't delve too much to XXXX is in high demand. It's most likely in high demand for EXPERIENCED/QUALIFIED electric/computer engineers.

Apply for internships during the summer so you can gain valuable work experience. This also gives you an idea whether or not you would want to work in that particular of EE/CE or not. Use the internship to market yourself later on for full time employment.

There will always be jobs in the US for EE/CE. The question is where will they be and will you be willing to relocate.

1. What is the current state of the job market for electrical and computer engineers in the US?

The job market for electrical and computer engineers in the US is currently strong. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for electrical engineers is expected to grow by 5% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations. Employment for computer hardware engineers is also expected to grow by 2% during the same time period.

2. Are there any specific industries or sectors that are driving the demand for EE/CE jobs?

Yes, several industries and sectors are driving the demand for EE/CE jobs. Some of the top industries include computer and electronic product manufacturing, engineering services, and research and development in the physical, engineering, and life sciences. Additionally, with the rise of technology and the Internet of Things, there is also a growing demand for electrical and computer engineers in industries such as telecommunications, healthcare, and energy.

3. What skills and qualifications are employers looking for in EE/CE job candidates?

Employers are typically looking for candidates with a strong foundation in math, science, and engineering principles. They also value candidates with hands-on experience and proficiency in programming languages, software tools, and hardware design. Additionally, communication and teamwork skills are important for success in the field of EE/CE.

4. How has the job market for EE/CE changed in recent years?

The job market for EE/CE has seen a shift towards more specialized roles, particularly in emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, and renewable energy. There is also a growing demand for professionals with a background in both electrical and computer engineering, as these fields continue to intersect and overlap.

5. Are there any job prospects for recent graduates in the field of EE/CE?

Yes, there are job prospects for recent graduates in the field of EE/CE. Many companies actively recruit new graduates for entry-level positions, and there are also opportunities for internships and co-ops to gain practical experience. Additionally, with the demand for advanced technology and innovation, there is also a need for fresh perspectives and new talent in the field of EE/CE.