Need help to design a computer architecture

In summary, the conversation involves someone seeking help with designing a barrel processor by modifying an existing simple processor architecture. The new design will include a thread switch unit and will execute one instruction from each thread at a time. The person is seeking guidance on how to make these changes and is considering starting with a basic architecture and using VHDL to implement the design on an FPGA.
udaymach
Hi Fnz,
I have to design a barrel processor ..for which i have to take a simple processor and have to make changes in that existing architecture design such that we have to add a thread switch unit into the design and the threads had to switched after executing one instruction from each thread. Its more or like fine grained multithreading.
Can anyone please help me out how to make changes in the existing simple cpu design to bring out the barrel architecture.

-
Thanks,
UDAY

Engineering news on Phys.org
udaymach said:
Hi Fnz,
I have to design a barrel processor ..for which i have to take a simple processor and have to make changes in that existing architecture design such that we have to add a thread switch unit into the design and the threads had to switched after executing one instruction from each thread. Its more or like fine grained multithreading.
Can anyone please help me out how to make changes in the existing simple cpu design to bring out the barrel architecture.

-
Thanks,
UDAY

What have you tried so far? What starting uP architecture are you thinking of starting with? What representation are you going to use for the project (block diagram, schematic, Verilog, etc.)?

I have taken a simple 16-bit microprocessor (figure given in the attached file)and then i have to alter this architecture based on the below specification.

Just if i consider simple instructions for the processor that is enough.

The processor has to execute one instruction from each thread at a time for all threads upto N threads. I need to design the architecture for the Barrel processor and has to implement the processor on a FPGA by using VHDL.

So, I have to take a basic architecture of any of the processor and have to modify it such that the processor has N - number of PC,SP,SR,Thread IDs,etc. for each thread. I have to cycle all these registers of each thread at their turn executing only one instruction at a time.

For example Thread -1 is taken and all its corresponding CPU registers are loaded, then one instruction from this thread is executed. Then again Thread -2 is taken and all its CPU registers are loaded, then one instruction from this thread is executed, etc. upto N threads and again its cycled from the first.

Example:
Thread -1 ACC Ro-Rn PC SP Thread ID Flags Thread-status(En/Disable)
Thread -2 ACC Ro-Rn PC SP Thread ID Flags Thread-status(En/Disable)
Thread -3 ACC Ro-Rn PC SP Thread ID Flags Thread-status(En/Disable)

So, I have to design an architecture first and then i have to code in VHDL.

Can you please help me sir.

Attachments

• Basic architecture.png
    Basic architecture.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 445
Last edited:

1. What is computer architecture?

Computer architecture is the design of the internal structure of a computer system, including its hardware and software components. It determines how the different parts of a computer work together to process information and execute tasks.

2. How do you approach designing a computer architecture?

The first step in designing a computer architecture is to identify the requirements and goals of the system. This includes determining the intended use, performance needs, and budget constraints. Then, various design techniques and principles are applied to create a system that meets these requirements.

3. What are the key components of a computer architecture?

A computer architecture typically includes a central processing unit (CPU), memory, input/output devices, and a system bus that connects all the components. It also involves the design of the instruction set, memory organization, and communication protocols.

4. How do you ensure the reliability and performance of a computer architecture?

To ensure reliability, the design of a computer architecture includes redundancy and error detection mechanisms. Performance can be improved by optimizing the use of resources, such as the CPU and memory, and by considering the trade-offs between different design choices.

5. How does computer architecture impact the development of software?

Computer architecture can greatly influence the development of software, as the software must be designed to work efficiently with the hardware components. The software must also take into account the capabilities and limitations of the hardware in order to achieve optimal performance.