Understanding Heat Exchangers

• Thread starter tehallchemist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, the poster has been given the task of simulating the cooling of a motor using a water cooling system and a 3.5kW heat exchanger. They are struggling with the limits of the heat exchanger and the formula they are using. They have been told to use the log mean temperature difference to relate heat removed to temperatures. Other relevant information includes the refrigerant conditions and coolant temperature.
tehallchemist
Hi Physics Forum-ers, long time reader, first time poster.

I've been given the task to do a simulation for the cooling of a motor from 50C to 20C. The motor is cooled using a water cooling system, and a 3.5kW heat exchanger.

I've done some quick preliminary calculation, but I'm getting stuck on the limits of the heat exchanger. My current formula looks like:

Twater(1) = Twater(0) + Heat From motor(~2kW) - Heat Removed From exchanger (~3.5kW)

(I know I should use heat capacities and such, this is a simple model)

Now, the heat exchanger we are using is specced to remove 3.5kW of heat. I was told that using this value independent of temperature is an acceptable assumption, but if I were to assume that this will continuously remove 3.5kW, the water temperature would eventually drop below freezing, and I don't think this is correct. What type of function should I be using to describe the heat removed by the exchanger?

Other information:
Refrigerant Conditions BXD: 16bar, 52C
Refrigerant Conditions Suction: 3bar, 7K
Coolant temperature 35C

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is a heat exchanger?

A heat exchanger is a device that transfers heat from one fluid to another without the two fluids coming into direct contact. This process is used in various industries, such as power plants, refrigeration, and air conditioning.

2. How do heat exchangers work?

Heat exchangers work by having two fluids flow through separate channels, with one fluid being heated and the other being cooled. The two fluids are kept separate by a solid barrier, usually made of metal, which allows heat to transfer between them.

3. What are the types of heat exchangers?

There are several types of heat exchangers, including shell and tube, plate and frame, and finned-tube heat exchangers. Each type has its own design and is suited for different applications.

4. What factors affect the performance of a heat exchanger?

The performance of a heat exchanger can be affected by several factors, including the type and size of the heat exchanger, the flow rate and temperature of the fluids, and the design of the heat transfer surfaces. Other factors such as fouling, corrosion, and pressure drop can also impact the performance of a heat exchanger.

5. How do you maintain a heat exchanger?

Proper maintenance of a heat exchanger is essential for its efficient operation. This includes regular cleaning to prevent fouling and corrosion, checking for any leaks or damage, and ensuring that the heat transfer surfaces are in good condition. It is also important to monitor the fluid flow and temperature to maintain optimal performance.