Daydreaming has been growing into a bigger and bigger issue

• Thread starter haxtor21
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation focused on the issue of daydreaming and its impact on the individual's ability to focus and complete tasks efficiently. The individual described frequently daydreaming during class and only being able to focus when talking to fellow geeks. They also mentioned daydreaming about philosophy and experiments, but it has become a bigger issue and interferes with their ability to focus. The individual wonders if dehydration or other factors such as ADD or lack of sleep could be a source of their daydreaming. Others in the conversation suggest talking to a doctor or trying methods to improve focus, such as exercise and getting more sleep. The conversation also includes a discussion about lucid dreaming and its potential connection to daydreaming. Overall, the conversation
haxtor21
My daydreaming has been growing into a bigger and bigger issue. For example, whenever I am in class, I very frequently just daze off into my wonderland, and then i 'wake up' 5 minutes later and i have no idea what is going on. This happens all the time except when talking to fellow geeks from school. I mostly daydream about philosophy and experiments, but this is getting just out of hand. I can't focus for crap. I find a lot of things to boring so I just create my own stuff in my mind.

How does one learn how to focus on the task at hand so as to get things done efficiently?

Would dehydration be a source for daydreaming, or just feeling hazy all the time?

Physics news on Phys.org

Have you talked to your doctor about this?

I agree with MIH. My ADD was undiagnosed until I was about 45, and some of my symptoms resembled what you described.

Danger said:
I agree with MIH. My ADD was undiagnosed until I was about 45, and some of my symptoms resembled what you described.

ADD = Advanced Dungeons & Dragons?
I'm 40 and I'm still able to daydream. I'll never let anyone to "cure" me. It is not a big issue for me. It doesn't happen uncontrolled very often. Only when I'm extremely bored, say If I'm waiting for a bus.

However my ability to daydream is much worse than when I was a child. I was able to daydream a chessboard and play chess with friends without actually looking at the physical chessboard. Now that's impossible to me.

I don't think I want to talk to my doctor about this. I am looking for methods of really focusing on the task at hand instead of daydreaming about extreme twists of the task at hand whatever it may be.

Even If I was to be diagnosed how is this going to change anything? This is really a source of inspiration, not something that is harmful. But it interferes with tasks such as doing homework.

I also don't drink much water... maybe that's it.

I also don't understand this mentality that as soon as something seems not 'normal' people must talk to their doctor about it -_-

My daydreaming gets a lot worse when I don't sleep enough at night. I think sleep deprivation is almost an epidemic amongst young people! How much are you sleeping? Do you need the alarm to wake up on time, most of the time?

Also, if I don't exercise enough I find it hard to stay focussed. Are you exercising regularly?

I don't sleep much, usually ~6 hours. I have a gym membership but I don't exercise et all.
The internet is very addicting.

I guess there lies my problem.

haxtor21 said:
I also don't understand this mentality that as soon as something seems not 'normal' people must talk to their doctor about it -_-
I guess it is good that Einstein didn't talk about relativity to his doctor first...:rofl:

haxtor21 said:
I don't sleep much, usually ~6 hours. I have a gym membership but I don't exercise et all.

I don't exercise in a gym, but I like to walk a lot. When I was younger I usually walked home from the computer club, it took me about 2 hours a day (well, actually I was walking home at night). And this type of exercise is very comfortable accompanied by daydreaming. :tongue:

Edit: Actually night-dreaming...

Last edited:

haxtor21 said:

Very likely. I was going to ask the same question. I used to end up daydreaming a lot in school too, and it was also when I was just too tired. Young people need more than 6 hours of sleep a night to function well (heck, I need more sleep than that, and I'm NOT that young). Try going to sleep a few hours earlier at night and see if it starts to improve your attention; the exercise can help too.

haha.. this morning after reading the responses to this thread I decided to take a short nap. As I was closing my eyes and thinking, I felt like a thump on my head, and somehow I was able to control it. I did it 2 times, and then i think i started having a lucid dream. The dream itself was kind of scary towards the end, a rap star was holding me by the arms with anger, then his face turned soft with humility. I also remember that somehow I caused a girl with a violet blause to get skin cacer and that my divorced parents were arguing. Very weird stuff lol! What does this mean?

Is this a lucid dream or is this just dreaming. Could the thump be signaling me going into REM sleep directly?

Is there a way to control this?

1. What is daydreaming?

Daydreaming is a state of mind where a person is lost in thought and imagination, often about their hopes, desires, or memories. It is a form of spontaneous and uncontrolled imagination that can happen during wakefulness or sleep.

2. Why is daydreaming becoming a bigger issue?

Daydreaming can become a bigger issue when it interferes with a person's ability to focus and complete daily tasks. With the increasing use of technology and social media, people are constantly bombarded with distractions, making it easier for daydreaming to occur and affecting productivity. Additionally, excessive daydreaming can be a symptom of certain mental health disorders such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) or depression.

3. Can daydreaming be beneficial?

Yes, daydreaming can be beneficial in moderation. It allows the mind to wander and explore creative ideas, leading to problem-solving and innovation. It can also serve as a coping mechanism for stress and help individuals process emotions.

4. How can one control excessive daydreaming?

There are various techniques that can help control excessive daydreaming, such as setting specific goals and deadlines, minimizing distractions, and practicing mindfulness and meditation. Seeking professional help may also be beneficial in managing excessive daydreaming, especially if it is interfering with daily functioning.

5. Is daydreaming a form of escapism?

While daydreaming can be a form of mental escape, it is not always a negative thing. It can be a healthy way to cope with stress and process emotions. However, if daydreaming becomes excessive and interferes with daily tasks and responsibilities, it can be considered a form of unhealthy escapism.