Why cloned offsprings die earlier?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary: The problem with cloning is that it's very difficult to get everything perfectly right, so there's always a risk that something will go wrong.
Saint
The cloned offsprings grow from baby, but later they become old faster and die earlier, why ? :frown:

Biology news on Phys.org
There's many problems with cloning, and I think one of the main problems is to do with imprinting and telomere length. (I'm kind of speculating, because I only skim through the topic when evaluating it for a uni essay, but chose telomerase instead)

Imprinting is where some genes that are normally on (or off) in an adult cell are turned off in gamete cells - which doesn't normally occur with cloned cells. For example, if an adult forms of a protein are produced when a cloned animal is young, it could lead to deteriorated health.

And telomeres are repeats of a nucleotide that capt the ends of all chromosomes, and it prevents chromosomal instabilities. Each time a cell divides, these repeats get shorter. Normally, in gametes, telomerase (a protein) rebuilds the ends of a chromosome. But a nucleus extracted from an adult cell would already have shortened telomeres - possibly reducing life span. I'm sure researchers have found a way around this.. but who knows, perhaps artifically induced telomerase doesn't add enough length.

Hmm.. hopefully all this points you in the right direction... which may be wrong.

I can't recall if the phenomenon of telomere shortening is still considered to be a part of it or not. I seem to recall a debate about that a while back, that it might not account for the premature aging.

I think the bottom line is we don't really know what goes wrong. This is fairly new technology, and a lot of things aren't well understood yet.

Agree with Jikx. A 'true' clone has not been made, at least in higher organisms. The genetic sequence includes a number of active and inactive genes. Not only must the all the genes be in the correct on-off position when cell division is initiated, they must be switched to the correct on-off position at the right time during both embryonic and post-embryonic development. How this 'programming' works is not understood.

Imprinting is a problem, telomeres don't seem to be (last I heard).

1. Why do cloned offsprings die earlier than non-cloned offsprings?

There are several factors that contribute to the shorter lifespan of cloned offsprings. First, the cloning process involves the removal of the donor cell's nucleus, which contains important epigenetic information that helps regulate gene expression. This loss of epigenetic information can lead to developmental abnormalities and health issues in the cloned offspring. Additionally, the cloning process itself can cause damage to the DNA of the donor cell, leading to genetic abnormalities in the cloned offspring. Finally, the cloning process often involves using older donor cells, which already have shorter telomeres (the protective caps on the ends of chromosomes). This can contribute to premature aging and a shorter lifespan in the cloned offspring.

2. Are there any differences in the health of cloned offsprings compared to non-cloned offsprings?

Yes, there are often differences in the health of cloned offsprings compared to non-cloned offsprings. These differences can range from minor health issues to more serious developmental abnormalities. Some studies have shown that cloned animals have a higher incidence of respiratory and cardiovascular problems, as well as immune system dysfunction. They may also have a higher risk of developing certain cancers and metabolic disorders.

3. Can the lifespan of a cloned offspring be extended?

While there have been some successful attempts to extend the lifespan of cloned animals, it is still a relatively new and complex area of research. Some studies have shown that altering the nutrition and environment of cloned animals can lead to longer lifespans. Additionally, research into new cloning techniques and technologies may also help improve the health and lifespan of cloned offsprings in the future.

4. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding cloning and the shortened lifespan of cloned offsprings?

Yes, there are ethical concerns surrounding cloning and the shortened lifespan of cloned offsprings. Some argue that it is unethical to create animals that are likely to suffer from health issues and have shorter lifespans. Others argue that it is a necessary sacrifice in order to further scientific research and advancements. It is important for scientists and researchers to carefully consider these ethical concerns and weigh the potential benefits and consequences before proceeding with cloning experiments.

5. Can the lifespan of a cloned offspring be predicted?

It is difficult to accurately predict the lifespan of a cloned offspring, as it can vary greatly depending on a variety of factors such as the cloning method used, the health of the donor cell, and environmental factors. Some studies have shown that cloned animals tend to have a shorter lifespan than non-cloned animals, but there are also cases where cloned animals have lived longer than their non-cloned counterparts. Ultimately, more research is needed in this area to better understand and predict the lifespan of cloned offsprings.