Law of conservation - electric charge, brain death

In summary, conservation laws apply to electric charge in all biological processes and in the event of brain death, there is a gradual loss of excess negative charge in neurons until the inside and outside become electrically neutral.
cameronmoore
Hey there,

So I'm a bit of a newbie on this, and I'm just kind of wondering on this subject...

But could someone give a brief description of how conservation laws apply to electric charge? And more specifically, I'm thinking in terms of how it applies to synapses and such in the brain, especially how it would apply to the cessation of such electrical charges (and even chemical/neurotransmitter synapses) in the event of brain death. Does anyone know of any research even loosely related to these things? I realize it's kind of a combination of physics and neuroscience that I'm getting at, was just curious if there's any observations out there on this kind of process...e.g. quantum brain, even classical mechanics, etc. etc.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Charge is conserved in all known biological processes.

In long dead neurons, there are N positive charges and N negative charges outside the cell, and M positive charges and M negative charges inside the cell.

In living neurons, there are N positive charges and N-x negative charges outside the cell, and M positive charges and M+x negative charges inside the cell at rest.

In neurons in an animal that has just died, there will still be excess negative charge inside the cell. However, this excess charge will slowly leak out, until both the inside and outside are electrically neutral.

What is the law of conservation of electric charge?

The law of conservation of electric charge states that the total electric charge in a closed system remains constant over time. This means that electric charge cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or redistributed.

How does the law of conservation of electric charge apply to everyday life?

The law of conservation of electric charge is applicable in many aspects of everyday life, such as in the functioning of electronic devices, the flow of electricity in power grids, and the behavior of lightning and static electricity.

What is brain death?

Brain death is the complete and irreversible loss of all brain function, including the brainstem. This means that the individual has no awareness, cannot breathe on their own, and has no reflexes or responses to stimuli.

How is brain death determined?

Brain death is determined through a series of clinical tests that assess brain function, such as the absence of brainstem reflexes and the inability to breathe on one's own. These tests are typically performed by a team of medical professionals and must be repeated after a certain amount of time to confirm the diagnosis.

Why is the concept of brain death important?

The concept of brain death is important because it is used to determine the legal and ethical status of an individual. In many countries, brain death is considered equivalent to legal death and is used to determine when life-sustaining treatments can be withdrawn. It also allows for the possibility of organ donation to save the lives of others.