Magnetic field in induction furnace

In summary, the individual is trying to build an induction furnace using a coil and the electronics of a small induction stove. They are using a round magnetic bar for testing, but are experiencing a problem where the bar does not heat up when inserted all the way into the coil. However, when inserted halfway, it does heat up. They are seeking an explanation for this phenomenon.
Peethol
Hi

I'm trying to make my own small induction furnace. I've made a small coil, the same shape as a solenoid. I'm using the electronics of a small induction stove so that is all in working order.

[PLAIN]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/4/45/20091002222929!Solenoid-1.png

For testing purposes, I'm using a round magnetic bar inserted into the middle of the coil. The coil is about 30cm long and the bar is about 1 meter long. The problem is, that when I stick the bar completely through the coil, so that the coil is in the middle of the bar, the bar doesn't get heated. But as soon as I stick the bar only halfway through the coil it gets very hot.

Can anyone explain to me why this is happening?

Thanks in advance :-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
the reason can be that ,when u completely fill the coil with the bar there is no change in magnetic flux in the coil &so no current is induced in the coil & thus coil is not heat up but when u stick the magnet in half of the coil flux in the coil varies & current is induced resulting in heating of coil.

What is a magnetic field in an induction furnace?

A magnetic field in an induction furnace is a region in which magnetic forces are present due to the flow of electrical current. In an induction furnace, this magnetic field is created by the flow of alternating current through a coil, which induces eddy currents in the metal being heated.

How does the magnetic field affect the heating process in an induction furnace?

The magnetic field in an induction furnace plays a crucial role in the heating process. The alternating current in the coil creates a changing magnetic field, which induces eddy currents in the metal. These eddy currents generate heat, resulting in the metal being heated rapidly and evenly.

Can the strength of the magnetic field be controlled in an induction furnace?

Yes, the strength of the magnetic field in an induction furnace can be controlled by adjusting the frequency and current of the alternating current in the coil. This allows for precise control over the heating process and can be adjusted to suit different types of metals and heating requirements.

What are the advantages of using a magnetic field in an induction furnace?

The use of a magnetic field in an induction furnace has several advantages. It allows for rapid and even heating, precise temperature control, and energy efficiency. It also eliminates the need for physical contact between the heating source and the metal, reducing the risk of contamination and damage to the furnace.

Are there any safety concerns related to the magnetic field in an induction furnace?

Yes, there can be safety concerns related to the magnetic field in an induction furnace. It is essential to follow proper safety protocols and ensure that the furnace is properly shielded to prevent any potential harm to individuals working near the furnace. It is also crucial to have a thorough understanding of the furnace's operation and maintenance to prevent accidents and injuries.