Unexplained voltage loss in a simple voltage divider

In summary: M resistor and the 9V battery.In summary, you are trying to power a digital output with a voltage divider, but the current through the voltage divider is limited by the resistance of the components in series. You can solve the problem by using a 7805 voltage regulator.
lukeex
hey guys,

I am currently trying to implement a voltage divider to step down from 9V DC for a digital output.

I am using two resistors, 3.3M ohm & 2.7M ohm in series.

When I measure the voltage across both of them using a multimeter I get 9.5V

Across the 3.3M ohm resistor I get 2.2V and across the 2.7M ohm resistor 1.8V.

I don't have any idea where I have lost the 5V and there is no other resistances in series, it is connected straight to a 9V battery, using a breadboard.

If anyone has any suggestions at all it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your multimeter has a resistance of about 1 megohm, and it is upsetting the voltage divider when it is in circuit.

For example, put a resistance of 1.188 Meg across the 3.3 Meg resistor. The parallel combination would be 873 K

Now use this as a voltage divider and you get 873 / (873 + 2700) times 9 or 2.2 volts.

Your multimeter is behaving like that 1.188 Meg resistor.

You can get better multimeters that have a resistance of 10 Megs but they cost a bit more.

Or you could just compensate for the meter resistance and calculate the 'real', unloaded value. That would be a cheaper solution.

lukex,

You are likely to run into other problems using 3.3M & 2.7M voltage divider to power anything! The nominal current through your voltage divider is 1.5uA ( 9V/6M = 1.5uA). Assuming you have the 2.7M resistor connected to V+ and the 3.3M connected to ground, you would have a nominal 4.95V where the two resistors are connected; however, as soon as you put any sort of load in parallel with the 3.3M resistor (that is, attempt to use the 4.95V), the maximum current that can flow is limited by the 2.7M resistor to 3.3uA. There are very few circuits that are going to be useful with a maximum of 3.3uA.

You would likely be far better off to simply use a 7805 voltage regulator (or similar) to obtain your 5V if you need any current at all.

Fish

1. What is a voltage divider?

A voltage divider is a simple circuit that divides a voltage into smaller parts using resistors. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to provide a specific voltage level.

2. What is considered an unexplained voltage loss in a voltage divider?

An unexplained voltage loss in a voltage divider is when the output voltage is significantly lower than the expected calculated value based on the input voltage and resistor values. This could be due to various factors such as faulty components, incorrect calculations, or external interference.

3. How can I troubleshoot unexplained voltage loss in a voltage divider?

To troubleshoot unexplained voltage loss in a voltage divider, you can start by checking the circuit for any loose connections or damaged components. You can also use a multimeter to measure the voltage at different points in the circuit to identify where the loss is occurring. Additionally, double-check your calculations and make sure the correct resistor values are being used.

4. Is unexplained voltage loss a common issue with voltage dividers?

Yes, unexplained voltage loss can be a common issue with voltage dividers, especially in more complex circuits. This is why it is important to carefully design and test the circuit before implementation.

5. How can I prevent or minimize unexplained voltage loss in a voltage divider?

To prevent or minimize unexplained voltage loss in a voltage divider, it is important to use high-quality components, make sure all connections are secure, and carefully calculate the resistor values. Additionally, minimizing external interference and using proper shielding techniques can also help reduce voltage loss.