How to transfer heat dissipate by heat sink into one spot

In summary, the conversation discusses using a thermionic converter to convert heat from a heat sink into electricity. The person is wondering if there is a way to concentrate the remaining heat into the converter. The suggestion is to use an adapter plate, which is a copper plate the size of the converter. However, the efficiency of the converter is only a few percent, so it may not be worth the effort. The conversation ends with advice to consider the temperature and power being dissipated before attempting to harvest thermal energy.
DigiDigi
I am trying to convert all the heat dissipate by the heat sink into electricity by using thermionic converter. I plan to put my thermionic converter at the bottom of the heat sink fins. However, my thermionic converter is not big enough to cover the entire area of the heat sink fins. Is there anyway I can concentrate all the remaining heat released into the thermionic converter?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Sure, you can use a copper adapter plate that is the size of the converter. However, these converters are only a few percent efficient, so you won't get anywhere near 100% conversion.

Thank you for your reply. Forgive me for being ignorance, but may I know what is an adapter plate and how does it look like. I google image and it seems to me they come in many shapes. Also, theoretically speaking, how does adapter plate work especially in my case for example, how will it help me gather all the heat from the heat sink into the thermionic converter. Where can I usually find the application of adapter plate? Sorry for asking too many questions, I want to learn and know more about this adapter plate since I am not familiar with it.

Before you go through the trouble of trying to harvest thermal energy from the system, look into two things:

1. What is the temperature? Based on the Carnot efficiency calculation, you can guess at what your maximum efficiency can be. (hint: if you're only operating at 10 or 15 degrees above ambient, it isn't worth it...)
  2. How much power is being dissipated in the first place? is it 1W? 10? 100? Just because something is warm or hot doesn't mean there is a large amount of heat flux to be harvested.

1. How does a heat sink work?

A heat sink works by absorbing heat from a source and dissipating it into the surrounding environment. It is designed with fins or other extended surfaces to increase surface area and allow for more efficient heat transfer.

2. How do I transfer heat from a heat sink into one specific spot?

The most effective way to transfer heat from a heat sink into one spot is by using a thermal interface material, such as thermal paste or thermal pads. These materials fill in any gaps between the heat sink and the surface it is attached to, allowing for better heat conduction.

3. Is it possible to transfer heat from a heat sink into one spot without damaging the heat sink?

Yes, it is possible to transfer heat from a heat sink into one spot without damaging the heat sink. It is important to carefully choose the thermal interface material and follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper application to avoid damaging the heat sink.

4. How can I improve the heat dissipating efficiency of a heat sink?

To improve the heat dissipating efficiency of a heat sink, you can increase the surface area of the heat sink by adding fins or other extended surfaces. Additionally, ensuring proper contact between the heat sink and the heat source through the use of thermal interface materials can also improve efficiency.

5. Can I use a heat sink to cool down electronic components?

Yes, heat sinks are commonly used to cool down electronic components, such as processors and graphics cards. However, it is important to choose a heat sink with the appropriate size and thermal conductivity for the specific component it will be cooling.