Sigma algebra proof in measure theory

In summary, the problem involves a σ-algebra over a set X and a measure μ in that σ-algebra. We are trying to show that if the sum of the measures of all A_n in the σ-algebra is less than infinity, then the measure of the set of points x in X that belong to A_n for infinitely many n is equal to 0. This means that the measure of this set is very small, even though the measures of A_n may individually be finite. To approach this problem, we can define A_n as a ring of a circle B_n, and use the fact that B_n and A_n will converge, as n goes to infinity. This will help us to show that the measure of the
Redsummers

Homework Statement

Let [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex] be σ-algebra over a set [tex]X[/tex], and μ a measure in [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex].

Let [tex] A_{n} \in \mathcal{A}[/tex] with [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\inf} \mu(A_{n})< \inf[/tex]
Show that this implies
μ ({[tex]x \in X[/tex] : [tex]x \in A_n[/tex] for infinitely many n}) = 0 .

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even see how is the measure 0 if the measure of all A_n is a finite number...
I guess that the measure we want to show μ=0 is related with some kind of topology that makes it 0. What do they mean by

μ ({[tex]x \in X[/tex] : [tex]x \in A_n[/tex] for infinitely many n}) ?

"The measure of the points x in the set X s.t. x is an element of A_n (which the measure of A_n is finite) for infinitely many n."

I can't see how is this measure zero, so if I don't have a minimum intution I can't even attack the problem. Any suggestions?PS: which was the way to write LaTeX so that I can write something along a non-LaTeX text and still seem of the same size? i.e. how to make LaTeX text smaller.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, nevermind. I got it.
You just prove it by defining A_n as a ring of a circle B_n. That is, B_n is going to converge, so will A_n. (And n goes up to infinity in the union.) Hope that's on the right track.

What is a sigma algebra in measure theory?

A sigma algebra in measure theory is a collection of subsets of a given set that satisfies certain properties. In particular, it is closed under countable unions and complements, which are two important operations in measure theory.

Why is the concept of a sigma algebra important in measure theory?

The concept of a sigma algebra is important in measure theory because it allows us to define a measure, which is a way of assigning a numerical value to subsets of a given set. This is crucial for understanding the properties of sets and their elements in a rigorous and systematic way.

How is a sigma algebra different from a regular algebra?

A sigma algebra is different from a regular algebra in that it includes countable unions, while a regular algebra only includes finite unions. This allows for a more general and flexible framework for defining measures and studying sets in measure theory.

What is the process for proving a sigma algebra?

The process for proving a sigma algebra involves showing that the collection of subsets satisfies the three properties of closure under countable unions, closure under complements, and containing the empty set. This can be done by using logical arguments and constructing examples.

Can a set have more than one sigma algebra?

Yes, a set can have multiple sigma algebras. In fact, any collection of subsets that satisfies the three properties of a sigma algebra can be considered a sigma algebra for that set. This allows for different ways of defining measures and studying sets in measure theory.