Applying the FTC to an arbitrary solution of the Schrodinger equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the fundamental theorem of calculus to a function \psi(t) that satisfies i\dot \psi = H \psi for a self-adjoint Hamiltonian H. The question is whether this can be done with only the given conditions on \psi or if additional assumptions are needed. The conversation also explores the possibility of using the FTC with respect to position, and concludes that the set of discontinuities of the derivative must have positive measure and the Hamiltonian must be infinite for the FTC to fail to apply. Finally, there is a discussion about constructing a scenario where the wavefunction fails to obey the FTC, involving an uncountable sum of delta functions and the Fat Cantor set. However,
AxiomOfChoice
Suppose you've got a function [itex]\psi(t)[/itex] that satisfies [itex]i\dot \psi = H \psi[/itex] for some self-adjoint Hamiltonian [itex]H[/itex]. I'd like to apply the fundamental theorem of calculus to this guy and write something like
[tex]
\psi(t) - \psi(0) = \int_0^t \psi'(s)ds.
[/tex]
Can I do this, given only the very bare conditions I've placed on [itex]\psi[/itex]? Or are there some other things I'd need to assume about [itex]\psi[/itex] to make it kosher?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about whether the time-derivative of the wave function must be continuous with respect to time; I suspect it does, only because for each energy in the spectrum the associated time dependence is an exponential function, so we're dealing with a linear combination of exponential functions if the energy spectrum is discrete or at worst an integral of an exponential function with respect to dE if the energy spectrum is continuous. So let me talk about space is instead. In order for the fundamental theorem of calculus to fail to apply with respect to position, the set of discontinuities of the derivative must have positive measure. And the derivative of the wavefunction can only be discontinuous at a point if the Hamiltonian is infinite. So to construct a situation where a wavefunction fails to obey the FTC, we could contruct something absurd like a potential that is an uncountable sum of delta functions, so that it is infinite on the Fat Cantor set (so that the wave function becomes something like Volterra's function.

lugita15 said:
So to construct a situation where a wavefunction fails to obey the FTC, we could contruct something absurd like a potential that is an uncountable sum of delta functions, so that it is infinite on the Fat Cantor set (so that the wave function becomes something like Volterra's function.
I'm a bit less sanguine about this answer than I was a few months ago. Does anyone know whether the notion of an "uncountable sum of delta functions" can be made precise?

What is the FTC?

The FTC stands for the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. It is a fundamental concept in calculus that relates the concepts of differentiation and integration.

What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes how wave functions evolve over time in quantum mechanics. It is a central equation in quantum mechanics that is used to study the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

How is the FTC applied to the Schrodinger equation?

The FTC can be applied to the Schrodinger equation by using the concept of integration. The Schrodinger equation describes the evolution of a wave function over time, and by integrating this equation, we can determine the wave function at any point in time.

What is an arbitrary solution of the Schrodinger equation?

An arbitrary solution of the Schrodinger equation is a solution that satisfies the equation but is not necessarily the most general or specific solution. It can be any solution that satisfies the initial conditions of the system.

Why is it important to apply the FTC to the Schrodinger equation?

Applying the FTC to the Schrodinger equation allows us to solve for the wave function at any point in time, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. It also helps us analyze the evolution of wave functions and make predictions about the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.