Strong Nuclear Force: Exploring the Relationship Between Distance and Force

In summary, the "strong nuclear force" is supposed to be stronger as the distance increases, but it's actually the other way around.
gespex
Hi all,

I read a while ago that there was a force that increased as distance increased. So I went to look around, and I read that it is supposedly the "strong nuclear force". However, reading up on the details, it didn't really seem to be the case at all.

I found this image for the relation between distance and force:
http://webs.mn.catholic.edu.au/physics/emery/assets/9_5_op21.gif

And sure, there is a small region for which the force becomes stronger as the distance increases (actually, it's the other way around, the force becomes weaker as the distance decreases, as the typical separation distance is at the height of the force).

So what is up with this "increased distance increased force"? Are they really only referring to that small region of the graph for which this is true?

Physics news on Phys.org
gespex said:
Hi all,

I read a while ago that there was a force that increased as distance increased. So I went to look around, and I read that it is supposedly the "strong nuclear force". However, reading up on the details, it didn't really seem to be the case at all.

I found this image for the relation between distance and force:
http://webs.mn.catholic.edu.au/physics/emery/assets/9_5_op21.gif

And sure, there is a small region for which the force becomes stronger as the distance increases (actually, it's the other way around, the force becomes weaker as the distance decreases, as the typical separation distance is at the height of the force).

So what is up with this "increased distance increased force"? Are they really only referring to that small region of the graph for which this is true?

Short answer - yes.

are you sure you arent confusing the strong force with the residual strong force?

What is the Strong Nuclear Force?

The Strong Nuclear Force is one of the four fundamental forces of nature, along with gravity, electromagnetism, and the weak nuclear force. It is responsible for holding the nucleus of an atom together by overcoming the repulsive forces between positively charged protons.

How does the Strong Nuclear Force work?

The Strong Nuclear Force works by keeping protons and neutrons, which are made up of smaller particles called quarks, bound together in the nucleus of an atom. It does this by exchanging particles called gluons, which are responsible for transmitting the strong force between quarks.

What is the relationship between distance and the Strong Nuclear Force?

The strength of the Strong Nuclear Force is inversely proportional to the distance between particles. This means that as the distance between particles decreases, the force between them increases. Conversely, as the distance increases, the force decreases.

What is the range of the Strong Nuclear Force?

The range of the Strong Nuclear Force is extremely small, only reaching up to a distance of about 10^-15 meters. This is because the force is so strong that it quickly weakens over larger distances. It is only effective within the nucleus of an atom where the particles are very close together.

How does the Strong Nuclear Force impact the stability of atoms?

The Strong Nuclear Force is crucial for the stability of atoms. Without it, the repulsive forces between protons would cause the nucleus to break apart. The balance between the strong force and the electromagnetic force, which is responsible for the repulsion between protons, allows for the stability of atoms and the formation of elements.