True black carbon in diamond from an image

In summary,Walker and Osantowski (1964) found that light failing to pass at certain angles due to internal fracture planes can look similar to inclusions that absorb light.
sty2004
I have difficulties in finding the true black carbons in a diamond from an image.

Since diamond has a high refractive index of 2.42, it has a critical angle of 24 degrees such that total internal reflection can easily occur (total internal reflection causes fire in diamond) . Now I have taken an image, my main focus is on black carbon. I want to solely find out the true black carbons without those due to total internal reflection. Is there a way to distinguish the difference or filter out the TIR except for looking at the similarities in shape of the black carbons. This looks like an everyday problem but no one really cares its application, please help~~~~

Also I will not consider putting the diamond in an solvent of similar refractive index as diamond. And I know that an image cannot tell all black carbon inside the diamond.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please give me some ideas~~

You seem to believe that total internal reflection will result in the appearance of black spots in the image that results from looking into a facetted diamond.

As I understand it, working from first principles on the assumption of a convex diamond, total internal reflection will never result in any external viewing angles becoming inaccessible to light originating from a given point in the interior of the diamond.

It follows that there are no points in the interior of the diamond that are not illuminated by light originating at an arbitrarily chosen point source.

So I just don't get how you think that black spots can result from total internal reflection.

The pointed-to web page has a picture. It contains no argument for the claim that total internal reflection can cause black spots in the picture of a diamond.

Perhaps the claim is that internal fracture planes can cause light to fail to pass at certain angles and that this is difficult to distinguish from an inclusion that actually absorbs light.

That would certainly fail to meet the "convex" premise in the argument that I gave.

The easiest way would be to immerge the diamond in a liquid with a high refractive index. But you don't want to do that, for whatever reason.

The second possibility is to take an image using a wavelength where diamond has a "normal" refractive index close to 1. VUV or X-rays seem to fit the bill, but these are measurements you cannot do in your kitchen sink.

Walker, W. C. and J. Osantowski, Phys. Rev. 134, 1A (1964) A153-A157.

@jbriggs444
Thanks
@M Quack
I am afriad that VUV or X-rays have been considered by my team. Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Can anyone provide me some sort of alien technology?

Anyone familiar with optical engineering can help me?

1. What is "true black carbon" in diamond?

"True black carbon" in diamond refers to the presence of carbon atoms within a diamond that absorb all visible light, resulting in a black appearance. This is different from other types of carbon in diamond, such as graphite, which reflects light and creates a gray or metallic appearance.

2. How can "true black carbon" be identified in an image of a diamond?

"True black carbon" can be identified in an image of a diamond by using specialized imaging techniques such as Raman spectroscopy or scanning electron microscopy (SEM). These techniques allow for the detection and visualization of individual carbon atoms within the diamond.

3. Is "true black carbon" considered a defect in diamonds?

Yes, "true black carbon" is considered a defect in diamonds as it affects the appearance and value of the diamond. However, the presence of black carbon does not necessarily mean that the diamond is of poor quality, as it can occur naturally during the diamond's formation process.

4. Can black carbon be removed from diamonds?

No, black carbon cannot be removed from diamonds. Once it is present within the diamond's structure, it cannot be extracted or eliminated. However, certain treatments such as high pressure, high temperature (HPHT) can reduce the amount of black carbon in a diamond, resulting in a clearer appearance.

5. Are there any benefits to having "true black carbon" in diamonds?

While "true black carbon" is generally considered a defect in diamonds, some people may see it as a unique and desirable feature. It can give the diamond a distinct appearance and may be preferred by individuals who appreciate the natural imperfections in diamonds. However, it may also affect the diamond's overall value and clarity.